Liverpool - not 2009/10 but the next season after that

I was sorry to see Torres go but how could you blame him for it. He left Spain to challenge for titles and to play at the business end of the champions league. I canā€™t imagine anyone was under any illusions as to what his expectations were. The last two seasons have been pretty shit at the club and itā€™s obvious that Liverpool are well below the level he expected them to be. On top of that the manager who signed him is gone and thereā€™s been massive upheaval in the boardroom. Loyalty is conditional for these players and these fantasies about a player like Torres sticking around when weā€™re flapping about in mid-table are just stupid.

My only problem is that he left mid-way through a season which showed a lack of solidarity but thatā€™s it really. Heā€™s no more of a mercenary now than he was when he left AtlĆ©tico Madrid.

Pandying to fans is terrible all right, Farmer.

Exactly. He owed Atletico nothing and owes Liverpool nothing. He gave both a good innings and let nobody down.

People need to move on from this romantic notion of the ā€œone clubā€ footballer, it just doesnā€™t exist anymore, except in very rare circumstances.
Almost all footballers are mercenaries, they have to be, they have a career spanning 10 (at their prime) years and the aim is to win trophies and make as much money as possible so you will be financially secure when you retire. If moving club helps you achieve one of those things they would be mad not to take it.
Why should they give a fuck what the fans think? The same fans would be on their backs if they stayed at the club and the goals dried up.

Iā€™d say the main problem for liverpool fans is that heā€™s been on a bit of a sulk for the last few months and then he leaves. Apparently when ya look at stats heā€™s been running fuck all in games and generally just strolling around like a spoilt child. I actually thought he was an alright sort of a player who seemed to be very little flash and had a great attitude of get up and get on with it but heā€™s turned into a right ratty whingey cunt anytime Iā€™ve seen him lately. Obviously you could say thatā€™s cos heā€™s playing with a shite team and heā€™s frustrated but giving your best for the team and fans paying you obscene money is the least you can expect from a non-cunt surely.

Yeah thatā€™s fair enough gola but thatā€™s a far cry from the accusations being leveled at him by the likes of Aldridge.

Yeah it really seems to have escaped these passionate types like Aldo that soccer is a big business. It seems to have gone right over his head that Liverpoolā€™s new record signing has just left his hometown club because heā€™s been offered massive money by Liverpool to betray them. ā€˜values of the clubā€™ me swiss.

Suarez package from last night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xeA0FwWW8s

Bit of an attack on Liverpool from Mascherano

Javier Mascherano hits out at Liverpool over exit of Fernando Torres

Javier Mascherano was offered a new contract by the then-Liverpool manager Rafael BenĆ­tez last April but stalled on signing it. Four months later, he secured a Ā£22m move to Barcelona. Photograph: Alex Morton/Action Images
The Barcelona midfielder Javier Mascherano has criticised his former club Liverpool for their handling of his departure last summer and the exit of the striker Fernando Torres on Monday.

The Argentina international described as ā€œsadā€ the manner in which players had to leave a club they had served well. Following Torresā€™s Ā£50m transfer to Chelsea on deadline day the Spaniard has been castigated by Liverpool fans for comments suggesting he is much better off at Stamford Bridge than he was at Anfield.

ā€œI was not surprised about what happened with Fernando,ā€ Mascherano is quoted on espn.co.uk as saying today.

"When I left Liverpool, it looked as if I killed someone. It is sad that the people who did something important with the club have to leave by the back door.

"It is sad that the press and the club try to convince people that it is all the playerā€™s fault when the reality is that Liverpool didnā€™t show the interest in keeping us in the club.

"The most important players didnā€™t leave the club well. I spoke with Fernando and I said to him that he doesnā€™t have to be worried because he did his best for the club.

ā€œEven though he didnā€™t win any trophies, he was a very important player and helped this club all the time.ā€

Mascherano was offered a new contract by Rafael BenĆ­tez, the then Liverpool manager, last April but stalled on signing it. Four months later, after it became apparent he did not want to remain on Merseyside, he secured a Ā£22m move to Barcelona.

I see Benitez has said that he wishes to return as Liverpool managerā€¦

He also said he could have got Ā£70m for Torres

I wouldnā€™t doubt that for a minuteā€¦

Mascherano is an UCOAM*

[size=ā€œ1ā€]*Ref: dancarter six nations thread [font=ā€œArialā€][size=ā€œ1ā€]3[sup]rd[/sup][/size] [size=ā€œ1ā€]February 2010[/size][/font][/size]

Rafa wasnā€™t a bad old sort but his day is done.

I have always been a fan of Rafa

Very true, I think the fans will always have a soft spot for him. It was time for both parties to move on though

Itā€™s not just that there are precious few one club players in football anymore, itā€™s the absurdity of the notion that Liverpool could be seen as that club for Torres. Why would a guy from Madrid who played all his formative years with AtlĆ©tico really have any particular loyalty to the club that bought him. He had a professional duty which he fulfilled very well. Beyond that itā€™s nonsense to think he owes Liverpool anything.

Heā€™s only after some break up sex

The little fling with the Italian slut was only ever going to end one way. Heā€™s had his fun and blown off a bit of steam. He needs to go back to what he knows and settle down with a local Spanish club. One who appreciates him for who he is

Benitez will be Real Madrid manager next season