Liverpool - not 2009/10 but the next season after that

I would give Kenny the job next season.

He has stabilised a team which was devoid of any confidence and has instilled a sense of resilence in them - yesterday proving the point more so than ever with two 18 year olds in the full back positions, losing the experience of Carragher in defence, missing Gerrard and getting a point at the Emiratas. From the position he took Liverpool in, that is about as much as could be asked from him. There have also been some tremendous performances such as the matches against Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea.

I am not saying what he has done has been perfect, but I donā€™t think any other manager could have done as good to be honest. There have been defeats in there, against the lower placed sides, but the primary objective was to instill some pride and confidence back in the club and he has done that. To a man nearly all the players have attributed this to Dalglish.

Itā€™s also important to recognise the impact which the Liverpool crowd have on football matters. Should Dalglish not be taken on for whatever reason, the incoming manager would immediately have a backlash from the crowd which, as Roy Hodgson can testify can have a crippling effect on the manager and the team. Particularly as Dalglish has performed well and has, in my opinion, done enough to be offered the job full time. I canā€™t see Henry risking the wrath of the crowd.

With regards to how well he will do in comparison to Rafa and Houllier, well only time will. I think he has done as well as he could given the lack of confidence, quality and injuries he has had to put up with thus far. There will be different criteria by which to judge him next season and that will be done but he deserves a shot at it anyway.

Thatā€™s crazy talk if you ask me.

I emailed Clarkey on Tueasday last week after the win against Man City talking about the title next season, but having time to reflect on it I attribute that to overstated optimism following a very good performance.

Liverpool still have large gaps of quality in critical areas. For instance, central midfield is still a massive problem. Lucas has improved and is now a competent holding player but he still canā€™t really create. The praise lapsed upon Jay Spearing is unwarranted given that most of his game is taken up with nipping at the ankles of players and tracking runs, which is commendable but not all you want from a midfielder. Meireles - well he is not a central midfielder if you ask me.

Central defence also needs addressing.

Look at what they do in the summer.

Then look where they are in March 2012.

Then decide if a potential title challenge is possible.

RTE HAS CONFIRMED that former Irish internationals Ronnie Whelan and Ray Houghton will not be taking part in their Premier Soccer Sunday Live programme following controversy over the showā€™s sponsorship by The Irish Sun.
The broadcaster said that the panel for the Premier Soccer Sunday live programme will now consist of John Giles, Kenny Cunningham and one additional panellist, to be confirmed and that the two former Liverpool players will not be taking part on 1 May.

Is that Sun business not a bit pointless at this stage? Wasnā€™t the real villian Kelvin McKenzie? If you go right to the top and involve Murdoch sure theyā€™d have to boycott a hell of a lot more things.

I agree. McKenzie is a low, low individual but Liverpool supporters shouldnā€™t be watching Murdoch owned Sky Sports ever if theyā€™re going to be consistent about it.

Pressuring Whelan and Houghton into not working on a TV show because itā€™s sponsored by the Sun is ridiculous.
Iā€™d imagine one could find plenty of corrupt and reprehensible things to get worked up about if one did a bit of digging into the lives/accounts/whatever of Liverpoolā€™s sponsors, associates, boardroom members etc. etc.

Agreed. Iā€™d agree with a boycott of the Sun on intellectual grounds, on the grounds that itā€™s sleazy and laddish (a bit like what this place was once accused of), on the grounds that it promotes an empty culture over real news and over the fact it exerts a horrible influence over the minds of the meekā€¦

And Iā€™d have no problem whatsoever with former readers taking a stance and saying they wonā€™t read it again because they take umbrage with a story, and Hillsborough fits that billā€¦

But Premier Soccer Saturday, how irrelevant is that in the scheme of anything? All thatā€™s happened here is people have noticed who is sponsoring a tv show that probably cost them a couple of grand but gets them so much publicity now instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHVtD_NzFYo
eature=player_embedded

Liverpool fans, classy as always :clap:

I see Kenny is weighing up the idea of bringing Barton to Anfield. :o
My link

:rolleyes:

Fair enough, only spotted it now.

A gentlemans reply, kudos. Personally think heā€™d be a tremendous signing.

I wouldnā€™t say heā€™s needed too badly. Heā€™s been playing out on the right for a while now I think and sure if its a winger they want they should just buy a winger.

AC look like their going to cough up 15million for Aquilani. Itā€™d be great to recoup that sort of money on him.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/289546584.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1304359469&Signature=CfB0ElIXDh68QoJutj2O6nG2In4%3D

Itā€™s Torben Piechnikā€™s birthday today. Heā€™s 48.

Liverpool linked with wee Jimmy Mac again today.

Could we see the return of the refiling shots, long throws and jersey over the head celebrations?

Former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise has refused to rule out a return to Anfield.

The Norwegian will enter the final year of his contract at Roma in June and the Italian club could listen to offers as a consequence.

Reports have suggested Kenny Dalglish could look to sign Riise, who departed Liverpool when Rafa Benitez was manager in 2008.

The position is a problem for the Merseysiders, with England right-back Glen Johnson currently acting as cover, and they have been linked with an audacious move for Evertonā€™s Leighton Baines.

Champions League winner Riise, at 30, may seem a less likely candidate, but he said: "I am flattered by reports linking me with a return to England.

ā€œLiverpool are close to my heart. They are a great club and I have some good memories. I have a contract here until June 2012, so you never know.ā€

Marseille are also said to be tracking Riise, who played for Monaco before joining Liverpool in 2002, as a replacement for reported AC Milan target Taye Taiwo.

Riise said: ā€œI love France as well. I played in Monaco and also enjoyed my time there.ā€

Riise would be a backward step.

definitely, no point buying 30 year olds