LOI 22/22

Dublin City fell apart mid season in 2006.

Sporting Fingal were a bit later around 2010 maybe. Played out in Santry.

Shels were the ones though. They were so close. It was some indictment of this country that no millionaire was willing to step in and save the day.

they were
like Dundalk in 2016 was incredible, it really was as was rovers beating Partizan but that night they fucking put it up to Deportivo who had been in a european cup semi final a few months previously was somethingā€¦ 25k in Lansdowne Road- Wes was a a magician

who here was at Dundalk/Legia in the aviva in 2016?
the night yer man pat hickey got arrestedā€¦ was there 30k in the aviva, champions league music and allā€¦ that was grest in fairness as wellā€¦ like i was at the Maccabi and Zenit games and they were nothing on that, it was like being at a LOI gameā€¦ that game in the aviva was special

1 Like

I wasnā€™t there but there was at least 30k at the Dundalk v Legia game.

There was something about the Shels team that was different though. They were well able.

the midfield

joey ndo
Wes
architect come software develepor come pundit stuey byrne
Alan Moore

2 Likes

I have a gentlemanā€™s agreement with 4 friends who attend all irish internationals together that if any of us ever win the Euromillions or become millionaires somehow, weā€™ll put a consortium together and throw it all at Cork City to get into the Champions League.

They had a cracking team. Owen heary was class too and a year ahead of me in school. Was at the depor game. My sister was going out with Shels CFOā€™s nephew at the time and he was a proper Shels nut.

2 Likes

Legia really felt like a big occasion for Dundalk and the league as a whole

Was raining heavy enough before game, have memory of been soaked through before even got to ground

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the basic CL prize money figure now - just for group stage entry?

About Ā£30m?

You could imagine what that would do for a LOI club?

It would allow them build a modern 10k seater stadium or set up state of the art training facilities and youth academies. Would be brilliant if they could crack it in the short term.

With the new transfer rules in the UK surrounding Brexit it could be the perfect storm for LOI clubs to start developing their own talent rather than these lads hitting off to England at 15/16.

1 Like

I was reliably informed at the weekend that in fact, itā€™s made it worse, as brexit has meant the English clubs are looking for more Irish lads, not fewer.

Do the new rules not stipulate that players canā€™t move cross channel until they are 18?

Therefore LOI clubs could have the likes of say a Troy Parrott under contract and could then negotiate a decent fee for him.

Things havenā€™t gone great for Deportivo since either

Dunno. Just what I was told by a man whoā€™d know as his son is coming through the system.

Shels then were the proverbial house of cards . Ollie ( god rest him ) didnt have a great corporate governance there at the time . They had a small support even when going well .

Ollie was an ideas man and the world would be nowhere without ideas.

here is what i know in terms of prizemoney entry level

• first qualifying round- 800k
  • 2nd qualifying - 1.4 million
  • 3rd - 2.2 million
  • final qualifying round - 3 million

CL groups - Jaysus id say min 10-15 million

UEFA cup group stage entry is 3.3 million - thats loosing all 6 games

UEFA cup
1st qualifying - 240k
2nd qualifying - 480k

UEFA conference
1st qualifying - 125k ( TBD but expected)

this season we have nobody in the UEFA cup
I must check are rovers seeded in CL qualifier , im not sure tho is their coefficent enough , they are guaranteed min 800k from that
once they are knocked out they will default to the conference league which is a bit shit as the money there just wont be what a UEFA cup qualifier would give you

2 Likes

did ollie byrne punch roddy collins and was it on joe duffy or something?

He did - I think Roddy liked him though . Ollie was a hothead by all accounts .

The whole thing ended in tears at Shels but to be fair to Ollie he didnā€™t enrich himself .

@Matty_Hislop is a shels man

no he did not in fairness
OTB had a great show about him one night , Stuey Byrne was on vocals ,
Id know the lad who was in charge of Shels media team ( the team was him) who used to write press releases for Olly, this lad was a volunteer at the club but like that now he ended up pitchside in Split and La Corunaā€¦ him there with his pen paper and his nokia

I remember when Dundalk were in EL in 2016 , I found my way in to the Maccabi and Zenit pre match pressers, Dundalk now have one media guy in a Dunnes suit-
Maccabi had 3 or 4 young lads and two girls from some Tel Aviv media company, all the gear nowā€¦ but Zenit, jesus, they have their own TV station and had at least 15 people from the club and 5 russian media outlets with them,
Dundalk were there with yer man in the Dunnes suit and had the Irish hacks in towā€¦
I think people knew then the size of these organizations and what LOI clubs were up against was impossible
Artem Dzyuba and Lupescu their famous manager were on duty, Lupescu can speak 4 or 5 languages, Dundalk had stephen kenny and brian gartland stuttering away in tallaghspeak

3 Likes

Dan Macdonnell asking the same questions he always does and making comments about " the local lad from Ringsend, ā€¦ blah blah and some thing about playing football with joeys and heading home to the flats,"

The Russians then asking Dzyuba about the upcoming 2018 world cupā€¦