LOI 22/22

All away tickets gone🙄absolute cunts

Like a fuckin lunatic here

Buy a home one imo

1 Like

Na according to the site they won’t let us in
Black and white g

Clearly they’re afraid to give us any advantage

I’d say if you use a Galway delivery address you’d be fine. They’re only emailed out anyways.

We’ve only about 800 hardcores so I’d sooner see as majority Cork crowd than the usual 1200 punters.

Worst comes to worst I’ll loan you my GUFC scarf and you’ll fit in like a glove if you repeatedly mention “Sligo scum”.

1 Like

:smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::clap::clap::smiley:ah thanks boy
But feckin it
I’ve a friend trying to source one atm - not confident though.

You’d think they’d be happy with the shagging revenue- no prob letting us in earlier

JC I’m mid 60s
Teetotal
And know another few the same who just love LOI
I’ll never darken their doors again after this complete OTT shit show

Sligo scum
Sligo scum
Sligo scum​:smiley::smiley:

1 Like

You won’t have to worry about Terryland for many a year after the job Caulfield done in the last 2 months. He’ll be getting absolute dogs abuse from us true Galwegians Friday, the useless Rossie cunt.

1 Like

Give us back Johnny C​:+1::+1::muscle::smiley:

I’d drive him down to ye myself

1 Like

:smiley::smiley::ok_hand:

Love him tbh- got us everything we won
More importantly brought the swagger back to the city( for a few years anyway :roll_eyes:)

Lovely evening here at Eamonn Deacy park

5 Likes

Cork scum causing trouble again

They had their fun and were quietened :grinning:

2 Likes

‘I want Justin to break into the senior team in this country. If he gets the chance, he will only wear a green jersey’

Allegiance of promising pair never in doubt despite respective links to Romania and Albania

Justin Ferizaj of Shamrock Rovers during the UEFA Europa Conference League Group F match against Gent in Belgium on Thursday. Photo: Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

Josh Giurgi during his time with the Republic of Ireland U-17s. Photo: EĂłin Noonan/Sportsfile

Justin Ferizaj aged 13 during a DDSL tour in Spain.

Justin Ferizaj of Shamrock Rovers during the UEFA Europa Conference League Group F match against Gent in Belgium on Thursday. Photo: Stephen McCarthy/Sportsfile

Seán O’Connor

September 17 2022 02:30 AM

Tomorrow, two promising Irish footballers with deep links to south-east Europe will be vying for starts in the FAI Cup quarter-finals.

The careers of Shamrock Rovers’ Justin Ferizaj and Shelbourne’s Josh Giurgi share several similarities, though both have taken different paths to this point.

The pair have represented Ireland successfully at underage levels, yet are eligible to switch their international allegiances, while both play under young Irish coaches who value youth in Stephen Bradley and Damien Duff.

Seventeen-year-old Ferizaj has enjoyed a stunning breakthrough at Shamrock Rovers in recent months. The midfielder is eligible for Albania through his parents, and was recently approached by their senior set-up, but his focus is fixed on representing the Boys in Green.

Giurgi (20) signed for Shelbourne in July, following a challenging spell at Norwich City’s academy. The winger has the option to switch to Romania, where his parents are born, but only has eyes for the green jersey.

Playmaker Ferizaj joined the Hoops at U-14 level and made his Premier Division debut last June. He made headlines when Bradley introduced him off the bench in their Champions League first-round win over Hibernians a month later, while he has featured in both of the Hoops’ Conference League group games this month.

Despite huge interest from abroad, the former St Kevin’s Boys player opted to stay at home and reportedly signed his first professional contract with the league champions in July.

The Irish-Albanian’s form has been lauded by his manager, team-mates and supporters, and his father Altin admits his son’s achievements have far surpassed his expectations.

“This year, my dream was for Justin to play in the League of Ireland,” says Altin, who moved to Ireland from Albania with his wife in 1999. “We all have plans and dreams, but I never thought he’d make his Champions League debut. It’s happened very quickly and it’s a very emotional time. A few years ago, I had a normal life like everyone else, but now his career is going to a higher level. I am completely focused on that.

“So far everything has been perfect, but you know the way football is, it can be up and down. We don’t know the future, but Rovers have belief in him.”

Tomorrow, league leaders Rovers face Derry City, with the Hoops on course for a league and cup double amid their first European group-stage campaign in 11 years.

On the other hand, Duff’s Shels host neighbours Bohemians, and the cup is their last chance of silverware this term.

Giurgi’s mother Diana moved to Ireland from Romania in 2000, two years after her husband – who she met here while working in a restaurant.

Their son began his career in Esker Celtic’s academy, before moving to Leixlip United where he shared a pitch with future Ireland international Andrew Omobamidele.

Unlike Ferizaj, Giurgi chose to leave Ireland and signed for Norwich at 16. Diana admits it was difficult to see him move across the water at such a young age, a deal that wouldn’t be permitted today due to Brexit.

“I missed him big time,” says Diana.

“When he left it was like, ‘Wow, he’s gone’. It was difficult for him too, being so close to his family. At the time we thought it was the best for him, but we didn’t think it would be so hard.”

The Irish-Romanian made 76 appearances for the Canaries U-21 and U-18 sides across four seasons, but injuries and illness prevented him from breaking through to the first team at Carrow Road.

“He got injured and sick, so had a few bumps in the road,” Diana adds. “He enjoyed it, but it was a learning curve. He wasn’t being seen for his skills at Norwich. They pushed him back and he lost momentum. The fact that they didn’t renew the contract told him he wasn’t their priority anymore.”

In contrast, Altin, who is a football coach, implored Justin to stay in Ireland and continue his development at Tallaght Stadium, with Chelsea, Manchester City and Roma previously interested in the midfielder.

“Other parents might say, ‘Sampdoria, let’s go’, but because I’ve been involved in football, I knew it would be a big jump,” Altin says, as Ferizaj turned down a move to the Serie A side last summer.

“It was a better decision to stay here and develop as a player. His agent wanted him to move to Italy, but I said this is the best moment for Justin. Rovers are playing in Europe, and he will get minutes. I can see his potential. I know he can match his team-mates, even at 17.”

Both players have had contrasting experiences with racism in Ireland. While Altin reveals his son has not experienced any abuse, Diana says it was an issue they had to tackle head on when Josh experienced racism in school and on the pitch as a teenager.

“We had some issues,” Diana reveals.

“I didn’t want to make a big fuss out of it, but we had to tell the coach. It was some team-mates as well. We had to say to Josh, ‘They are just trying to p*** you off and make you look weak’. You just have to get on with it.”

“I said to Josh, ‘Never forget you were born here, you are more Irish than Romanian’. That doesn’t make you who you are, you are a person first of all. As long as you are nice to people and respectful that’s all that matters.”

Diana insists she and her husband were made to feel most welcome in Ireland however, and were happy to put these incidents behind them.

While their careers may have diverged at club level, their international paths are on similar trajectories.

Ferizaj had been capped at U-15, U-17 and U-18 levels before earning an U-19 call-up last May. Giurgi has represented Ireland at every level from U-15 to U-18 and also featured in the 2019 U-17 European Championship played on home soil.

The Irish pair have no intentions of switching their allegiances for the time being, and both parents insist it’s their son’s dream to line out for Ireland at the Aviva Stadium one day.

“Justin has been approached by Albania a few times,” says Altin, after the 17-year-old was offered a place in their senior squad this month. “This country has given everything to us, so Justin has to give something back to this country.

“I have never thought about it (switching to Albania). From the day he started with the Ireland U-15s, I said if the time comes, I want Justin to break into the senior team in this country. If Justin gets the chance, he will only wear a green jersey.”

While for Josh, “It’s his dream”, Diana adds. “Josh told us, ‘Ireland is my home, if you win or lose, the people still see you as one of them and support you no matter what’.

“There was never any question of him playing for Romania, he wants Ireland.”

Tomorrow, the journey continues in Derry and Drumcondra for two young men whose distinct paths have converged for now, and where they go from here remains to be seen.

1 Like

The self styled peoples club get stuffed 3-0 by Shels
Club poet compositing an elegy I’m let to believe
Probably no rush on a new manager now, nothing left to play for this season and climate change is unstoppable

1 Like

They must be sick of lambert by now

1 Like

Nice photo

2 Likes