LOI season 2017

Ya . Curtis went to Middlebrough . That was a fine side under Kerr. Fenlon , Mark Ennis , pat Kelch , Mick moody , Osam etc . They had a spicy rivalry those years with Derry City .

One t in tilson

What a song.cunt used to destroy srfc

1 Like

Bar the plastic pitch , Oriel Park hasn’t changed a whole pile .

as an aside
i met Ritchie Sadlier in Blanchardstown yesterday, he had about 4 kids with him, a most decent sort i thought,
is he still director of football at Pats these days?
i dont know what to make of them, they signed curtis or kurtis byrne who had a great season at bohs last year but lost players to rovers and dundalk… ud worry for bohs really , Lopes gone to Rovers as well

sunday sport (TV) on a sunday night was great for LOI highlights also

there’s only one Donal Golden, but he’s shit so we sold him…

FAI cup replays on a wednesday afternoon…
i think in 89 CCFC beat Bray up there in April on a day i remember been about 25 degrees, well according to the evening echo, it was a wednesday anyway, easter was very late i think and there was a european cup semi final involving milan on RTE the same night

We played real montjoy in the rds on a weekday in the cup

Think it was the time we threw paint on the bohs fans

2 Likes

the “big” club etc,

yeah George Jackson’s match reports from the Brandywell about how Johnatan Speake spoke,
yer man Pascal Vaudequin works as a coach with the IFA now

You weren’t at that game . You would shit yourself in physical combat . That said emptying a tin of paint from an upper deck of a stand on a few kids is heroic stuff . It was that spirit that inspired the heroic "dunkirkesque " retreat in Limerick,

Derry’s away Argentina strip got great airing those years . In 1985 I say them play in Ballygowan Park in Newcastlewest. They brought some crowds in the first five years .

That was the first year of the second tier . EMFA , Bray , St James Gate ( I think) Cobh , Longford , Monaghan played in that league .

Did you ever go to a Thurles Town game in the dog track ???

That never happened.

no , never
jesus EMFA - the east midlands football association, that’s some blast from the past, i remember vaguely when Ramblers had to play up in a place like Abbeycarton or Gortakeegan and they’d be on the road at 5am for the 2pm KO on a sunday
we had a very decent team around 88 90, Alex Ludzic RIP was in goal and Terry Kearns who want on to play in Belgium was up front, Keane featured a bit allright, Brian Fenton was allegedly over watching him a lot
Derry used to bring down some crowd allright

billy hamilton with limerick…

EMFA had a fanzine called “every man’s a football artist” . They morphed in to Kilkenny City in later years .

How many free state counties never had a LOI club. ;

Kerry and Clare
Mayo Leitrim and Ros
Cavan in unoccupied Ulster
Carlow , Laois , Offaly , Meath .

Am I missing any ???

Ronnie Fenton.

Brian Fenton hadn’t been born at that stage.

The Derry travelling support kind of ebbed away after about 1990.

I remember being at an FAI Cup replay at Dalymount in about February 1988 when they beat Bohs 4-1 and they had massive support even on a midweek night. They made some noise.

That support was still there when they played Pat’s in the not so decisive decisive game of the 89/90 season at Harold’s Cross (a 1-1 draw in which Liam Coyle scored a late equaliser followed by a pitch invasion) but the team’s fortunes began to decline a bit after that and Jim McLaughlin retired in 1991.

Roy Coyle, formerly of Linfield, was appointed manager for the 91/92 season and I attended a good few games in Dublin that season, including Derry’s away trips to Bohs and Shels. They won both - the Shels game was on St. Patrick’s Day and was a 5-0 thumping. They didn’t have great support at either, though, despite being in the hunt for the title.

Sadlier has left Pats a long time now, I’ve met him myself and he’s very much an alright sort in real life.

Pats are a tough team to call this year, they could be bottom 4 as easily as top 4 but keeping Fagan was huge for them and he’ll score enough goals to keep them clear of trouble.

Bohs should be in big trouble. Would be a laugh seeing them in same division as us playing home games in Tolka next season. But this being their last season in Dalymount could inspire enough performances from them to keep them up. Also the return of Dinny Corcoran will mean they should score plenty, they’ll probably concede plenty too.

Thats a great youtube channel

Wexford Youths FC are no more.

RIP etc.

Wexford FC have replaced them.

Could anyone explain what’s gone on here to end up with Sevco Wexford?

cc @mickee321, @Matty_Hislop, @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy