Long Live the king

Really hope that’s true

I disagree. It is a lived experience. They’ve been brought up by people who lived through terror and in the place atrocities happened. Of course they’d be more extreme in their views than you. Not much more extreme tham you were when maggie died though. So they’ll probably mellow a bit by the time they hit your age.
I also don’t think it’s like the unionist bigots. It’s a once in a lifetime event. The end of an era. And that era brought murder and sectarianism to their doors. They had a bit of a party and will leave it at that id imagine.

3 Likes

It’s like Kev throwing his tools in the bin.

Tony Cascarino once said “Traore is having an absolute holocaust” in reference to Arsenal’s defensive difficulties while live punditing on Sky Sports News. It was during thee 8-2 against Manchester United in August (or was it September) 2011.

The INTERNET never forgets.

Almost none of this bullshit now is lived experience. It’s the perpetuation of hatred by other means among hotheaded younger generations who don’t remember the Troubles, and some opportunistic older people who are angry the killing ever stopped, because it made them into somebodies. Now they’re nobodies.

The fighting is over because people came to a long belated realisation that it needed to stop. That’s a quarter of a century ago now almost.

Because the killing has stopped, what we have now is a bizarre psychological substitution for the killing - a retreat among a minority into
a comfortable fantasy world of petty bigotry and hatred and a rejection of the idea of building a shared society, where toxic youthful energy is whipped up and channelled into moronic conspicuous displays of “purity”, where any attempt is made to “wind up” and goad “themmuns” up to a level just below outright violence but perilously close to it. The INTERNET has made this worse in the exact same way it’s made things worse in politics everywhere. The INTERNET is a hothouse for entrepreneurial extremists.

I happen to think Unionism/Loyalism is probably worse on the whole for this but this attitude also occurs to an unhealthy degree on what you would loosely term the CNR side and those that engage in it are every bit as bad as those they claim to want to be different from. They’re the same.

This is the sort of shite that will prevent there being a new, shared Ireland and be the tinder for a return to violence if the possibility of unification ever comes into serious view.

My auntie passed away an hour ago. Born in 1926 she had a similar innings the Queen as almost as eventful of a life as a nurse from post war UK, the trials and tribulations of acute hospitals in Dublin and as a nursing home carer. Probably the most selfless person I ever met.

Fitting in ways with the overall grief around at the moment.

52 Likes

Sorry to hear that, buddy. May she rest in peace after a life of service well lived.

1 Like

RIP. That’s a fine life to have led.

1 Like

Or these people will get older, mellow out, have kids and try to bring them up well and be much more concerned with their busy lives. And these type of feelings and displays will retreeat and disappear from public memory and consciousness. I’d say that’s more likely.

RIP farmer. Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

A lot of them will mellow out with age but they will inevitably be continually replaced by younger people. The way politics and discourse is at the moment and the informational infrastructure available to people which promotes disinformation and division, it’s likely they will increase in overall number rather than decrease. Experience from other situations around the world tells us this will be the case. Tensions tend not to just die away, but to mutate and take different forms, and harden.

This has been the case in the US, it’s the case in the Israel/Palestine situation, it’s the case with Russia, it’s the case with countless situations in Africa, it’s the case with India and Pakistan and with Burma. And even to an extent in Britain itself.

The Gordon Elliott meme was priceless.

I wouldn’t be inclined to celebrate anyone’s death but I can certainly see why someone might be a bit happier about Maggie death

1 Like

Sorry for your loss pal.

1 Like

The awful memes going around are horrifically shite. It’s all very forced you’d have to say. We’ve matured as a nation thanks to that rubby game in Croke park. We need to embrace that maturity.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that lad, a great, long, eventful life of service and in good form until recently. The light of Heaven to her.

1 Like

She knighted the cunt responsible for the Bloody Sunday massacre
Sick of Anglophile free state cunts that can be so nice ref Lizzie yet didn’t give a fuck in the main with what went on up the road
Not all but most

Shot happens ( and shit too)

Sigmund Freud get a giggle out of that one, intended/unintended mistake

1 Like

Just clocked it👏

1 Like

They’re fucking painfully unfunny mostly. One of the worst things about WhatsApp is getting bombarded with mostly shit “jokes” whenever a big event like this happens.

3 Likes