Lucinda Creighton

Her problem was with S.9 of the bill which permits terminations on grounds of suicidal ideation and not the other sections, which the earlier amendments proposed changing

I see-fair point if it’s in respect of the numerous experts in the area who have said that abortion would never solve a possible suicide case. Whether one agrees with it or not, they presented a convincing argument.

See braz’s post Mac-the question required more than a 1 word answer. I’d expect better from you.

Nah I’d have to disagree. As I said what gains her security is not the nature of the stance but the fact that she took it and stuck with it, in accordance to the mandate she received from those that voted for her. The fact you are a nationally prominent politician doesn’t make you safe at all too, just ask Alan Dukes, Mary Coughlan etc

Oh she’s a bigoted cunt so-may she fuck off to obscurity so.

So you are saying that even though she voted with her principals, a stance which was backed up by the pre election manifesto she ran under, she is in the wrong?

By most prominent, I meant within the constituency. If there’s an FG seat in Dublin SE (which there almost always will be), then it’s hers as long as she’s in the party. I still reckon she will be running for the party in the next GE though, they’ll sort something out before that.

You’re just wrong on this. I fundamentally disagree with her stand, but it unequivocally makes it less likely that she will retain her seat in that constituency in the next election. The type of people voting for her are the types that used to vote PD - economically conservative but socially fairly liberal.

Wide legged

Her views on gay marriage/civil partnerships were already known before the last election though, Braz. I was disgusted people voted her in. And as a woolly, Guardian-reading Billy Bragg fan, I’ll personally campaign against her in the area if she runs again, doesn’t matter who it’s for.

Yeah, but she had the FG machine and a high profile behind her. Just couldn’t see her winning there as an independent.

Why is her vagina on her face?

[quote=“braz83, post: 800428, member: 390”]By most prominent, I meant within the constituency. If there’s an FG seat in Dublin SE (which there almost always will be), then it’s hers as long as she’s in the party. I still reckon she will be running for the party in the next GE though, they’ll sort something out before that.

You’re just wrong on this. I fundamentally disagree with her stand, but it unequivocally makes it less likely that she will retain her seat in that constituency in the next election. The type of people voting for her are the types that used to vote PD - economically conservative but socially fairly liberal.[/quote]

First of all if you’re nationally prominent then you will obviously be prominent in the constituency. My point is that parties (and by extension the clear party leader in the constituency) are not guaranteed certain seats. They may be very safe for long periods of time, but are always open to being lost depending on the political landscape. Before 2011, there would have been many “FF seats” that vanished. Being a candidate for a certain party does not mean you retain your seat, no matter how long the seat has been held.

You’re pigeon holing an entire constituency and its demographic. I used to live in the area and there would be a good proportion of conservative voters, certainly enough to give a quota. But that misses the point once again anyway, which is that people who disagree with her on this particular issue will still vote for her as she has (seemingly) shown backbone and integrity and a willingness to commit fully to her mandate. And yes I think you’re right, she will more than likely be back on the FG train by the time the next GE rolls around.

Who are you talking to buddy?

The Runt does his own thing.

I just wanted a chat with him mate-he hasn’t been around here much lately and I miss him.

Are they my feet?

I profoundly disagree with most of her views but do respect her for sticking to her principles, unlike shnakey uber conservative hoors like former GAA manager John O’Mahony and Michelle Mulherrin, who have voted with the government despite coming out against the bill.

You’d have to respect her in the way you’d have to respect Eugene Terreblanche for never selling out on his backward, racist, white supremacist beliefs, while Mulherin and O’Mahony, like F.W. De Klerk, sold out despite having essentially the same views.

You wouldn’t move your arse to warm yourself, never mind canvass :slight_smile:

Long live democracy.