Luton Town FC

ICONIC

Luton broke my heart as a youngfella when they beat a very decent arsenal in the league cup final

Brian stein :tired_face:

Good to see them back in the big league though

4 Likes

They’ve done that all season. They physically bully everyone, Morris & Adebayo are two monsters up top; quick & powerful. They lump a lot of balls into the mixer, dangerous at set-pieces.

I would just worry that it won’t work at the highest level, I don’t know if they’ll be able to bully teams who are technically better than Championship teams.

I hope they continue to play like that though. Be so fascinating to see how they go in the premier league with that game plan

Have you met Stoke?

I’ll bully you ya cunt

2 Likes

Brentford have been quite successful doing it. Burnley, under Dyche, were successful doing it up to a point. Luton don’t possess a similar calibre of players. The hard part is staying in the PL. Burnley lost 6-0 to Man.City in the cup. I think Luton and Burnley will go straight back down. Sheffield United have a bit more about them and Heckingbottom has managed in the PL before.

Brentford are technically a good bit superior to this Luton team; and it’s not just about being physically dominant. Brentford are a good counter-attacking side.

Burnley are probably more similar but Luton did probably rely on their physical dominance a bit too much. I think Burnley did have better technical players but did make the most of set-pieces, etc. which Luton will have to do too. Look, if they sign players that can fit in the system yet improve them, they may have a chance. Just think it might take a bit of money, they’ll need to be smart.

Burnley were totally dominant in the Championship this season; they won’t dominate possession in the Premier League but they are a progressive season, a couple of clever signings and they’ll have no fear of the bottom half Premier League teams.

Some achievement this and not done with a sugar daddy pumping millions in. For a club with that home ground and which I understand is a poor working class town they have no right making the premier league. It’ll be interesting to see who they sign now and if they can finish next season off the foot of the table they’ll have put in some effort.

2 Likes

Sure Mick O’Leary has to take advantage of this with all his slots in Luton airport. He could literally fly fans in from anywhere. Congrats @Spidey :clap:

1 Like

2 Likes

Its massive and fair play to them.

It would take 200mln to get their club ready for PL I suspect. And another 200mln to survive.

Stadium just wont work to make this a PL club in the first place.

They’re best option is to play smart with the money. Develop the ground or plan a different ground for the future; work on trainimg facilities and scouting.

If they survive next season and keep check on the cash theyd have a huge pot to work with.

In all likelihood, despite the club’s rich history, they’ll be sluiced in the PL

They already have a new stadium planned, regardless.

Which means the upgrades to Kenilworth Road is dead money, which is a pity.

1 Like

Didnt realise that

Same auld story, the manager will get until Christmas and get sacked.

1 Like

Nathan Jones hopes so

Augustine Ashley Grimes with the cross for the last minute goal in the cup final.

3 Likes

I recall Luton having plans for a new stadium in 1994 when they reached the FA Cup semi-finals. Their chairman was a guy called David Kohler and he had big plans to build the first ever indoor English club ground, called the Kohlerdome. These plans obviously came to nothing, and thank goodness for that, because Kenilworth Road is probably the finest football stadium in England.