Macedonia v Ireland - European Championship Qualifier

Has anyone ever been to Macedonia? I wonder if it would be a good trip.

Some injury updates:

Doyle is unlikely to play for Wolves again this season but hopes to use the Carling Cup games on 24th and 29th May to get some games ahead of the Macedonian game on 4th June.

Leon Best is out for the rest of the season with his ankle injury which required surgery.

Shay Given is targeting the start of next season for his return from shoulder surgery so he’ll be out too.

Dunne is suspended of course.

Damien Duff has been ruled out of the game with an Achilles injury

Not good, I understand Doyle is very unlikely to make it now either. And Westwood is a doubt, but Given’s return is a possibility.

Some odd squad selections for Carling Cup too. Simon Cox (West Brom) will be added when he completes his eligibility but no room for Hoolahan yet. Ward makes it in too.

Shay Given Manchester City FC
Kieren Westwood Coventry City FC
David Forde Millwall FC

Richard Dunne Aston Villa FC
John O’Shea Manchester United FC
Kevin Foley Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
Damien Delaney Ipswich Town FC
Ciaran Clark Aston Villa FC
Seamus Coleman Everton FC
Kevin Kilbane Huddersfield Town FC
Stephen Kelly Fulham FC
Paul McShane Hull City FC

James McCarthy Wigan Athletic FC
Glenn Whelan Stoke City FC
Marc Wilson Stoke City FC
Darron Gibson Manchester United FC
Aiden McGeady Spartak Moscow FC
Keith Fahey Birmingham City FC
Liam Lawrence Portsmouth FC
Keith Treacy Preston North End FC
Stephen Hunt Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
Stephen Ward Wolverhampton Wanderers FC

Andy Keogh Wolverhampton Wanderers FC
Anthony Stokes Celtic FC
Caleb Folan Colorado Rapids FC
Jon Walters Stoke City FC
Robbie Keane West Ham United FC
Shane Long Reading FC

Subject to fitness:
Sean St. Ledger Preston North End FC
Damien Duff Fulham FC
Darren O’Dea Ipswich Town FC
Keith Andrews Blackburn Rovers FC
Kevin Doyle Wolverhampton Wanderers FC

Do you think Ward will stay in the family home or the team hotel Rocko ?

It’s a tough question but a good question. I’d imagine there’ll be pressure on him to stay in the hotel but the convenience of proximity to Dunnes Stores might just tip the balance in favour of the homeplace. Either way I trust he’ll be assuring the squad that the Malahide United grounds are in Portmarnock and thereby reclaiming the Robswall hinterlands for his home parish.

:clap: :clap:

hoolahan hasn`t a hope of being picked by trap. too much of a desire to play and get forward

Duff is out. I’d be thinking Trap will plump for Fahey but Lawrence could possibly come in. I’m a fan of both Fahey and Lawrence but would prefer to see Coleman come in - won’t happen though.

Long will start with Keane. Fahey will play on the right. JOS will come into the centre. Given unfortunately will replace Westwood. Id be giving Westwood the nod for this one.

If our two lads in midfield play well - Gibson and Whelan - we will win. If they dont we will draw. We need to win really.

I’d go for Fahey out of that trio with maybe Coleman second and Lawrence third. McCarthy would be another option from leftfield (!) but I’d say Fahey is the most likely anyway unless something happens in the Carling Nations to change everything.

Westwood is now definitely out too. That’s a big concern with Given’s fitness far from certain.

Probably worth mentioning here that Paul Green is out for probably the rest of 2011 with a ligament injury. Had an operation on it this week. Not everyone’s cup of tea but pity to see that happen to any Irish player.

Clarkey will go beserk if his neighbour David Forde is given a chance.

That is a nasty list of injuries already. Although we seem to perform better away from home than at home under Trap.

Paddy Kenny’s time has come once again.

Probably worth mentioning here that Paul Green is out for probably the rest of 2011 with a ligament injury. Had an operation on it this week. Not everyone’s cup of tea but pity to see that happen to any Irish player.

Ah thats a shame. Never a nice injury, even with the advances made.

He’s fucking shite.

Darren Randolph called up now and Simon Cox too.

They were called up yesterday, dickhead.

have just scouted james mccarthy’s form for TFK in advance of the big game. He played in a midfield two with Ben Watson, slightly more advanced than Watson initially but eventually dropped back next to him screening the back four. The dangerous Nzogbia played higher up.

mccarthy has nice touches, uses the ball well with both feet (without ever being remotely ambitious in his passing) and picks up good pockets of space to receive the ball at times.

BUT this is all when he is under no pressure. Under even a hint of pressure, he turns his back on his defenders, will not get into bits of space, does not want the ball, will not hold onto the ball and will never take on his man. Once again I was incredibly disappointed by McCarthy who never made a tackle all day and was outshone comprehensively by his midfield partner Ben Watson. McCarthy also lost the ball critically in front of his back four 5 mins from the end, Young robbed in and slipped in Bent who missed the winner. If that had gone in Wigan could well have been fucked but a point keeps them in with a chance of staying up.

In terms of the duels, Reo Coker was the best midfielder on view and took the ball of him regularly in contact. McCarthy shared his anonymity with Petrov on the opposing side whose pace and stamina have completely deserted him. Watson outshone him and had a decent game.

conclusion - wrap glenn whelan in cotton wool. McCarthy is no where near ready for playing competitive international football in a two man midfield. He lacks moral courage and abdicates responsibility. He reminds me so much of Liam Miller its untrue and again I come to the conclusion that the real star is James McCarthy’s agent who somehow has had this lad hyped to ridiculous levels since he was 15.

Misc - Glasgow Celtic may have their centre half troubles but Gary Caldwell’s haplessness is as evident as ever. Richard Dunne looks a fat mess but somehow stumbled into playing pretty well. No sign of Clark and Sammon was ballboy.

[quote=“KIB man, post: 573690”]McCarthy also lost the ball critically in front of his back four 5 mins from the end, Young robbed in and slipped in Bent who missed the winner.
[/quote]

So it wasn’t critical then.

Any updates on Given? And what is St Ledger’s injury? He’s in the subject to fitness group too. I’d play Coleman on the right. We need to get this lad into the team. Lawrence was useful and played well in the last campaign but Coleman will be one of our key players for the next decade. He’s more than ready to do a job on the right hand side.