Major Boosts to the Irish Economy

I can’t look past The Ryder Cup. It must have brought about €3bn to the Irish economy and it was epic.

Good Friday Drinking in Thomond Park was worth €10m to Limerick

Indeed. :clap:

10k Portuguese supporters flying in and out of Dublin last Wednesday and buying burgers from vans around Landsdowne Road was worth €30m to the Irish economy.

A major boost.

Rose of Tralee brings in around €8 million.

Did we get a verifiable number for the visit of the Queen of England? Must be a boost of at least €50m.

If 30 million Irish-Americans come here and spend just €2 each on 7 firelighters on Henry Street, that’s approximately €60m and a major boost to the economy.

The handball alley at the back of Croke Park is worth 5 million a year to the Irish economy.

I just did a google search and Ireland’s 3 home games in the 2010 Six Nations championship provided the Irish economy with a €50m boost according to a report in the now defunct Sunday Tribune.

I know this is not the thread for serious comment but when you think about it the Ryder cup did as much as anything to wreck the Irish economy. The amount of shonky hotels holiday homes and golf courses that were built to cater for demand for this competition was unreal. And all of these bollixes of things are stuck in the midlands where tourists never visit anyway.

There’s a handball alley at the back of Croke Park?

This is a serious thread ODowd.

Riverdance brought in a direct £IR34.5m into the economy but with ancillary benefits included experts believe the injection into to the wider Irish economy could have been as much as £3b.

The Coursing Festival is worth €10m annually to the rural backwater of Clonmel

Certainly the tourism benefits of the last week to the Irish economy cannot be overstated. The eyes of the whole world were upon us. The whole world.

I see that now Bandage

Rugby in Croke Park saved the Irish economy 350 m that would have gone elsewhere if those matches had to be played somewhere else.

I understand next year’s International Eucharistic Congress will be worth €7m.

Can’t understand why we worry about tweaking taxes and public spending when the measures outlined on this thread need merely be repeated to get us out of the recession.

u2’s 2009 concerts added 50million to the national coffers. Apparently. We only need a thousand of these gigs to get us back in black.

JFK’s 1963 visit made New Ross Ireland’s premier city break destination.

The Solheim Cup was worth $20m to Meath and the economy