Man united 1998/1999

He wasnt great in Europe because United didnt dominate possession like in the premier league. Out of possession he was more or less a passenger. Ferguson eventually changed from a 4-4-2 in European games because they were getting dicked in the middle by technical sides

1 Like

They were a great team that played great football. Played out a pair of 3-3 draws with Barcelona in the group stages that were as good as you’d see. Relentlessly attacking.

Also won the CL at a time when English sides were nowhere near as strong as they are now AND won the FA Cup when it actually meant something.

Incredibly strong squad. As previously mentioned, they had 4 of the best strikers in the entire league at the time.

Deservedly ranked as one of the best sides of recent history

1 Like

Didn’t Ferguson have a mad panic headstagger and play Giggs on the right wing and some right winger on the left?

They were a popular team amongst the Irish football supporter at the time also, I watched the CL final in a packed bar and 99% were supporting ManU,
Sheringham was a joy to watch, he was never quick but by 99 he was moving at snail pace, didn’t need it though, what a player that was a great night

I think it was the season after where he forced his way back into the team and had a serious renaissance. Was their top scorer. Always had it between the ears did Sheringham

99 was an anomaly - They were regularly played off the park in Europe and were all throughout that campaign up to semi and final - but they kept going and found goals. I think Arsenal were a better footballing team at the time but utd had more dog in them.

1 Like

They were a great domestic team but just the one appearances in a Champions League final means they have to be ranked alongside the likes of Porto and Dortmund and were a one hit wonder on the biggest stage. Bayern were weak from crosses and Fergie decided to play the best crosser of a ball in centre mid. Fergie was tactically inept in Europe.

1 Like

You can tell the 1999 team were truly great given Liverpool fans are still seething 20 years on.

1 Like

Says the lad that started this thread as he’s seething about the current Liverpool team :laughing:

The current Liverpool team haven’t even won a double. In fact they haven’t even won two leagues in a row.

No Arsenal weren’t better. United were far superior to them between 00 and 01. And Arsenal never made any impact in Europe.

United had a savage mix of doggedness AND quality about them. They were never beaten.

1 Like

He was missing two of the best centre midfielders on earth that day

1 Like

A howler from mike cunt. Scholes and keano were suspended that night so becks was in mid field.

In football terms i’d disagree - that Arsenal team were a joy to watch in full flow - Petit, Viera, Overmars, Bergkamp … The old guard still at the back. They were no where near as relentless as utd tho.

1 Like

Na. The arsenal team that came after, with Henry and Pires was, definitely. But early noughties United had their number

Attacking the opposition’s weakness should have been a no brainer. Moving the best crosser of the ball in to centre mid played in to Bayern’s hands. Fergie got away with an awful blunder.

1 Like

I was always an ABU but in time I have grown to have a grudging respect for that United team. They had a great attitude and always played until the final whistle often picking up points they had no right to get by sheer will. Credit to Ferguson and that United side they always played attacking football and tried to play at a tempo that the vast majority of the sides in England couldn’t get near and in full flight would utterly steamroll sides with relentless fast paced football. They had a far better squad and depth than any other side too due to their financial clout which was a big help - Solsjaer and Sherigham compared to the likes of Boa Morte and Christopher Wreh coming off the bench for Arsenal - a huge difference in depth.

They were a great premier league side but I wouldn’t have considered them a great champions league sides - almost the invert of the AC Milan side of the mid 2000s. They fell over the line in 99 after getting through a very tough group and never really looked like winning the final or turning it around before the two smash and grab goals in injury. Madrid and Munich both out classed them in the knockout stages in the following two seasons while on paper they were a match for Monaco and Dortmund in the two years previous but fell short.

3 Likes

It meant so much they didn’t bother entering it the following year :joy:

You can clearly see @Batigol was a big Man Yoo man when they were winning but has distanced himself in recent years

1 Like

I was a Man U fan as a child. I didn’t feel the need to follow or get emotional about an English team as I grew up and just enjoyed football for what it was.

2 Likes