Man united 1998/1999

Who should he have played in the middle so? Bearing in mind it was a Champions League final. Some young lad?

1 Like

It’s great you’ve been able to get emotional about it again on TFK.

I’m not in the least bit emotional. Just giving my opinion

Would city’s struggles in Europe since 2011 be comparable to uniteds in the 90s?

I think a lot of after-timing goes on about this United team, particularly when it comes to how they did in Europe. They were entering European competition on totally different terms to what English clubs do now. Today’s clubs are from a powerhouse league, able to outspend all bar maybe 3 or 4 clubs around Europe. They have sides littered with foreign talent, meaning little to no adjustment is required for European competition.

United in 99 didn’t have that. Italian and Spanish clubs, and maybe even German, had bigger budgets. United’s team was largely British or Irish, with a handful of Scandinavian players thrown in. They were going up against far more cosmopolitan sides. It was almost unheard of for top South Americans to be in England back then. Furthermore, there was a world of difference between how the game was played in England vs on the continent.

Fergie did learn some lessons, an especially harsh one against Real Madrid in 2000 for example, but adjusted and managed to reach 3 more finals in his career, winning one.

2 Likes

I think there was talk at the time johnsen or Phil neville might. With berg or may centre half.

The spread of good players appears to be far wider back then.

The current Premier league is by far the strongest its ever been imo. You have two brilliant teams but then the teams coming 3rd 4th all the way down to spurs are a mile stronger than the equivalent teams ever were before. United have spent about a billion euro and will still be distant 3rd faves at best next year. Spurs made the CL final and are way down the league this year.

1 Like

The current premier league is a shambles. The leading them were embarrassed by the fourth placed team in Spain.

Beckham should have been out wide to target Bayern’s weakness. Any old hacker could have replaced Roy Kane.

Who’s Roy Kane?

Ronny Johnsen.

Exactly

That was a lovely United team but there were some right donkeys on the Munich team

I’m not 40 but I remember this well.

People were obsessed with that Man Utd team because they had Keane, but even apart from that there was a connection with Alex Ferguson and the story of the class of 92. The public related to the players far more than today. Also Beckham really engaged the public, mostly from people saying he was a poser. There was also a great rivalry with Arsenal. People caree about that rivalry, not like Man City today who no-one gives a fuck about.

They took in Stam for huge money at the start of the year and Dunphy accused him if being a spoofer. The Premiership on RTE was a huge thing and they had the CL too. Dunphy could say whatever the fuck he wanted for as long as he wanted. He had huge highlight reels of every little thing Stam did wrong.

Beckham was also regularly accused of being a spoofer.

Stam eventually proved to be an elite centre back, maybe the best but of course Dunphy couldn’t accept it. Stam was not a mistake by Ferguson. There are two stories as to why he got rid of him so quickly - firstly Ferguson realised he was on PEDs. Secondly Stam write a book that mentioned some dodgy financial dealings with Stam’s agent. Either way he had to go, no mistake there.

Man Utd won a huge number of games in the last 15 minutes because they were so well drilled they would play a high tempo possession game that eventually wore teams down. For people who thought they weren’t the real deal, this just drove them demented because it looked like they were getting away with bad performances again and again. They triggered very deep hatred in the opposition.

Everyone recognised that Keane was an all-time great though.

The final was one of the worst in history until injury time. Bayern Munich were the better team and hit the woodwork numerous times. Scholl was the best player and only one who really performed. If Keane had been eligible Man Utd would have won it 2 or 3 nil because Bayern were shite.

When Man Utd fluked the European Cup Final it prompted the greatest mass seethe in football history. Your seethe at Liverpool winning the league pales in comparison. Nothing will probably ever compare to that seethe.

I’m not a Man Utd fan but great days for football.

1 Like

janker

When Man Utd stumbled past Juventus in 99 Juve where only 6th in Serie A or something like that.

They beat them though.

And aiming for a 4th CL final in a row

I’d say every single English team since the champions league expanded has lost at some stage to a relatively poor team in the competition so that point by brudeancarton makes no sense. Especially when the Liverpool team he’s talking about are the current European champions.

1 Like