Managerial Merrygoround Thread

To be fair, I read that before you edited it and if he had a direct hand in 33 goals last season you can see why he signed him. €20m is peanuts these days.

A dirty edit so it was.

In the Eredivisie

20m isnt peanuts for B&HA.

He’s just the tip of the iceberg.

They got 50 billion in tv money this year alone. They should’ve given him a couple of hundred mill to spend.

You want them to throw good money after bad? He spent 20m on some Terrorist they found in the Netherlands.

@Big_Dan_Campbell

Nice chap and i am sure he won’t be out of work too long. I’d expect Brighton to push on now with the right appointment just like Newcastle did for the first couple of years under Alan Pardew when he replaced the affable Chris

Brightons owner is one incredibly rich individual. 20 million to him is no money. Odd he doesnt back them more.

Foes he take all the profits out like the Glaziers at Manu?

I doubt it. He’s a jew makes all his money on betting on premier league games. I’m not sure how he’s allowed own a football club and continue with his business of betting on football.

2 Likes

Graham Potter for the Brighton job.

Seen that if he doesn’t take it they are looking at Phil Neville. Imagine being sacked and being replaced by Phil Neville. Talk about a kick in the nuts.:grin:

2 Likes

Bizarre

Just reading the article on the BBC about the Celtic job and how Hughton becoming available may have give the Celtic board something to think over. I didn’t realise that when Rodgers left he didn’t even tell the players. Sounds like he couldn’t get out of there quick enough.

They’ll need Harry Potter to keep them up next season.

1 Like

Looking at the bald facts, the sacking of Hughton is very harsh given what he achieved at Brighton. They hardly can expect to break the ceiling and become an EPL top ten team, can they?

But others have pointed out the nuances. They’ve apparently been dire this season. They’ve 3 wins in their last 23 games. That said, I’m not a total weirdo so I don’t watch Brighton really. I saw them beat West Ham 1-0 in a home Friday night game some time during the winter. They didn’t really engage in a football match. They were cautious, defence minded, two banks of 4 merchants. Duffy and Dunk headed, hoofed and blocked everything. They scored from a rare foray upfield.

Football journalists like “Miguel” say Hughton doesn’t really coach or get his coaches to work on forward play, attacking cohesion etc. It’s old-school, have a solid shape, keep it tight, try to nick one. As has been mentioned, transfer dealings have been poor.

That’s completely contrary to what Celtic need. If Celtic are to accept where they stand now in terms of being in a shit enough league with financial constraints (but one where 3 CL impending final squad players, 2 definite starters) played earlier in their career, then they need to select a development type manager. Someone who’s able to develop and improve young, hungry players as part of a wider strategy of buying low, selling high and replenishing all the time. And winning everything in Scotland while doing it. In essence, they need another Rodgers type appointment. I don’t think it’s Hughton or Lennon.

2 Likes

Rafa is the answer. But I doubt he’d be content to go up there and diddle around with a few million in the transfer window

Hughton seems to be on the end of harsh sackings, especially the one at Newcastle. I do think that his style of play is due to the teams he is managing. There is no way on gods good green earth that you could play an attacking style of football at Brighton, if he did that they would have been relegated in November. Did he have this playing style at Newcastle? The geordies love attacking football and couldn’t see them putting up with dour defensive footbal for long and he was/is well regarded at Newcastle.

In terms of who’s actually gettable, Steve Clarke is a standout candidate

Alex Neil possibly

Dean Smith maybe if Aston Villa are not promoted but he probably wouldn’t take it even if they lose in the play-offs

Lennon did make some excellent signings in his first term but I’m not sure how much of that was down to him

Rafa is too big for a club like Brighton, this is a guy that has managed Valencia, Liverpool, Inter, Madrid, Chelsea. He would be like Rodgers at Celtic and would hop in his car and not come back after the first training session. :slight_smile:

1 Like