Manchester United 2014/15

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 1130385, member: 377”]It should also be noted that Louis presided over the era of Best/Law/Charlton and the European Cup win of 1968. Such was the equilibrium that existed in the domestic English game prior to the advent of the Premier League and the super franchise. Man U were relegated a mere 6 years after winning the European Cup. The 48,000 that followed Man U in the 2nd tier in 1974/75 were patient and understood the game. They backed their manager Tommy Docherty in a period of transition that was still evolving after the Busby era. There was no clamour to have Docherty sacked after presiding over the relegation season of 1973/74 and under the Doc’s stewardship they roared straight back into the First Division with an exciting young side that had one of the great FA Cup win’s in 1977. Compare that to the disgusting treatment that David Moyes was subjected to last season and the instant gratification culture that now pertains at Old Trafford.

Such ebbs and flows weren’t just confined to Man U. Spurs were relegated in 1977, within a few short year’s they were winning back to back FA Cup’s and UEFA Cup. Leeds United after a decade of being the most consistent team were relegated just 7 years after playing in the European Cup final. Aston Villa were relegated in 1987, just 5 years after winning the European Cup. Hard to imagine it now, but Man City & Chelsea were both relegated twice in the 1980’s.

You had provincial town champions like Portsmouth in the 40’s, Wolves in the 50’s, Burnley & Ipswich in the 1960’s, Notts Forest & Derby in the 70’s.

The EPL model has thrown up a bland sameness year in year out. Arsenal, for over a century, the pre-eminent club in London, now just play to finish in the top 4 and if that’s achieved the season is a success. What passes now as shaking things up is Southampton potentially finishing 7th to follow up on last season’s 8th place finish.[/QUOTE]

Obscene use of apostrophes there.

Win’s.

FA Cup’s.

Deary me. :eek:

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1130422, member: 9”]Obscene use of apostrophes there.

Win’s.

FA Cup’s.

Deary me. :eek:[/QUOTE]

The Chairman,
The Apostrophe Protection Society,
23 Vauxhall Road, Boston, Lincs.
PE21 0JB United Kingdom

Steve Bruce will always have United in his heart. :cool:

Brucey Brucey Give Us A Wave.

Great servant :clap::clap::clap:

And just watch his Hull side bend over for his beloved United on the last day of the season. :clap:

Manchester United are the true aristocrats of British football.

The Champions league wasn’t the same without them this year.

I am thinking about becoming a Manchester United supporter. I was there a few weeks back and was impressed by the setup. I am looking for quick success as I am pushing 40 in a year or two. To me, this club has it all, history, tradition and success

Never lets the club down. :clap:

Living down south aswell, I tick all the boxes for becoming a red devil.

You really have to admire what LVG has done, I can see a prolonged period of success on the horizon

[QUOTE=“Mullach Ide, post: 1130371, member: 141”]Manchester United were debt free when the Glazers took over.
They now owe the guts of £400,000 and over £700,000 has been drained from the coffers in servicing debt and interest repayments, substantially more than what was paid in transfer fees.
Their average home attendance in 1974/75 season in the 2nd tier of English football was 48,0000, Louis Edwards was calling the shots from his butchers shop in Salford at the time.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t be a big soccer ball fan but I wouldn’t have thought 400k worth of debt is a big thing?

The club bought a two bed apartment in ongar at the height of the boom.

Just because you married into money mate…

Sure isn’t that Looney lad earning that or thereabouts once a fortnight? Could he not give them a digout?

I’d say 400k was a typo or a bit of silvermine slang. Wouldn’t call it though.

A true gent

He’s based in Malahide. Silvermine slang would be beneath him

Soccer ball???

:confused: