Manchester United 2022/23 - The Reign of ETH

Jesper Olsen

Mount is an odd signing. Decent on the ball but one paced and for 60 million Iā€™d expect better. English added tax as per usual

2 Likes

Just another Ross Barkley really. Decent, but worth about half that 60m fee in reality.

Mount is going to make lads look very silly next season. A vastly superior player to rice or grealish who both cost nearly double what he did.

1 Like

Nearly double?

Your use of nearly mirrors Dougals when he told Ted he nearly had it with the panel beating of the car.

2 Likes

Please move yourself to the new thread.

https://tfk.thefreekick.com/t/manchester-utd-2023-24/

Birtles wore 9 at Forest, Tony Woodcock wore 10.
Birtles wore 8 at United.

Jury is out on Rice. But Grealish is clearly a vastly superior player to him.

1 Like

Mount obviously doesnā€™t want to win any more trophies and is happy to phone it in for the next few years.

Man United won more trophies than Chelsea last season.

Utd have spunked half their transfer budget on a player who couldnā€™t get on the starting 11 of a team who finished in the lower half of the table.

3 Likes

Close to Ā£150 million on Antony and Mason Mount, might be time for Ten Hag to get a bit of help with his shopping. Mount is 24 and I donā€™t think anyone has figured out his best position yet or what he is particularly good at, seems a bizarre signing.

2 Likes

He most certainly wore 10 at united on occasion

That Antony deal stinks.

Southgate and Lampard liked him. To offset that though Tuchel liked him too. Chelsea fans donā€™t seem upset heā€™s gone. He missed a few decent chances against Liverpool in those cup finals the season before last. If he were foreign heā€™d cost half that maybe. A typical Utd signing, more of a statement signing as opposed to addressing a more pressing priority.

5 Likes

He will replace Erickson and complements both casemiro and Fernandez. Itā€™s far from a typical signing, it actually makes sense

Theyā€™re going to try and train him to play a bit deeper and help them retain the ball better/ beat the press. He has some of those traits but I donā€™t think it is his instinct myself. To me he is too similar to Bruno but ETH thinks he can change him.

1 Like

Casemiro will have a fair bit of hand holding and minding to do in that midfield trio. Mount is a nice player but pretty much all the ball winning and tackling is going fall on ā€œCasā€. Can a midfield afford to carry Mount and Bruno?

1 Like

He carried Erickson and Bruno last year. Mount can at least function defensively

What is going to be key is whether he can hold onto the ball in those deep positions when he is pressed. Can he play on the turn, ride tackles, look for it even when marked, and then be responsible with the ball? Or will he shit the bed?

ETH is basically looking for him to do what Bernardo Silva does. I thought there were more obvious candidates.

If it goes wrong, he is still excellent cover for Bruno and an option on either wing.