Manchester United 2022/23 - The Reign of ETH

Thatā€™s fair enough. But out of the writers, for any publication you hold in esteem, who do you rate?

Jonathan Wilson.

The Man Utd to Chelsea switch was an extremely common one in primary schools around Ireland Circa 2004. A lot of them gradually transitioned back to Man Utd a couple of years later.

Always look on the runway for lights

I made the less common switch from Liverpool to Sheffield United in 1992 before switching back in 1994, though I double teamed until 1995.

Sheffield United beating Manchester United in the FA Cup Fifth Round in 1993 was a day of days, and the following day in school was even better.

1 Like

I was in a class where a heap of lads deserted Liverpool around 1992 (I started following them in 89 when I realised Ronnie Whelan played for them. My grandmother had cousins there who brought me a scarf and pendant and that solidified it for me ). Most went to Man U. One lad did a summer with Aston Villa before becoming a massive United supporter. There was another mate of mine who supported Liverpool and is now the biggest Sheffield Wednesday fan in New Jersey. In a class of 30 boys, I was the only remaining Liverpool fan

3 Likes

Ince v Kammy was x rated that day

Fixed that for you.

Moran and McGrath were at Utd and plenty of other Irish players were with other teams.

The family connection gives you a pass, however.

I genuinely hadnā€™t a clue about their history to be honest with you. Ronnie had scored v Northern Ireland. We watched the match in school. A few weeks later I saw him on Sports Stadium and asked my Dad why was he playing with a team other than Ireland. I was 7 :man_shrugging:

No fucking excuse you prick. As a 7 year old, you should have examined what Irish players were playing for man united before choosing who you supported. Now, give your 7 year old self a right good talking to and think about what you have done.

And none of the Liverpool players were rapists or wife beaters

I suspect they werent anti Irish like united either. I bet a young @caulifloweredneanderthal looked at how the club were treating big Paul, treated Georgie and thought Iā€™m having fucking none of that.

There was a migration of sorts to Blackburn in the mid 90s but I donā€™t think many stayed the course

Thereā€™s nothing quite like the journey of being a Liverpool Football Club footix. Iā€™d have told my seven year old self to drive on, and fire out a variety of slogans such as
WE GO AGAIN
TELL US NEVER
THIS MEANS MORE
WE ARE LIVERPOOL
and most importantly YNWA.

3 Likes

Yeah, there was a lad class below me who stayed with them. My auld lad worked with a fella from Burgess and all his young lads were Newcastle fans in the 90s!

Beautiful mate. That made me feel as warm as this photo

3 Likes

Bookmarked for Celebrity Deaths 2024.

ā€œRyan Giggs is illegitimate, he ainā€™t got no birth certificateā€.

I reported your post asking someone how the noose was coming along not a fan of jokes re suicide.