Manchester United 2022/23 - The Reign of ETH

You did call it in fairness to you

I was dead against the siging off Anthony too.

That deal stinks

4 Likes

Why do people keeping saying this? Why does it stink?

Heā€™s a Brazilian Mark Kennedy

Sancho got 12 league goals and 14 assists as an 18 year old at Dortmund, Haaland was still in Norway then. In his last season at Dortmund, his only full season with Haaland, he got 8 league goals and 11 assists. Clearly to say that Haaland helped pad his stats doesnā€™t stack up to any scrutiny.

I donā€™t see where that happened. You held up Madrids approach as one to follow, highlighting them signing a young English talent from Dortmund for massive money - Iā€™d have thought the point is fairly clear that United have already tried that and it hasnā€™t been a roaring success. Maybe the issue isnā€™t the players targeted but what happens to them when they get to Manchester.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard that suggested. I honestly dont know how he got it sanctioned.

Maybe ETH felt he owed Ajax a few bob.

I guess I look at things very differently to other people.

Last night Richie powers dad mentioned it took him a few seasons to get going with Kilkenny.

He felt Coming from a small club he wasnā€™t good enough and suffered from nerves and a lack of confidence.

My opinion is team mates and players themselves are aware of their value and when a player is bought way over the odds of his actually value you are putting a player on the back foot massively.

It almost never ever works out.

I think Anthony was worth around 35 to 40 million and would have thrived. He started very well but when your signed for the figure that he was bought for one or two bad games and everyone is on your back. It becomes tough mentally.

I wouldnā€™t rule him out yet. New country, new language and has had a difficult period off the field also. also man United have been a mess too.

Footix comparing Professional sport to hobby alert.

Has he tried bringing his girlfriend to Manchester with him to settle in?

Bellingham would be a totally different prospect to sancho was imo.

Real Madrid have signed 6-7 very young talented and exciting players.

Not all of these work out. Real Madrid tried it 12-13 years ago too with fernando gago and higuin in the one summer.

You donā€™t Think playing with Haaland didnā€™t help Sancho?

I do. Particularly when he was running into trouble with the Dortmund management too.

Playing with great players helps, but thatā€™s what you find at all top clubs. Sanchoā€™s best seasons were playing with Alcacer, not playing with Haaland.

Well you can slice it any way you like. If sancho wasnā€™t having a beano with Haaland in the German league he shouldnā€™t be signed at all in reality.

Definitely not for the money and wages involved anyway imo.

Sancho is an odd one because heā€™s had moments at man United where you think heā€™s going to absolutely take off. Last season the goal v Liverpool as an example. Heā€™s much better on the left as opposed to the right but heā€™s no pace at all. Itā€™s a pity really to see him piss away his career but I guess heā€™s made for life so it doesnā€™t really matter.

:joy:

4 Likes

In all of Fergusonā€™s time the only players I remember united signing who everyone else in England would have loved to buy were Keane, ferdinand and Rooney and even they were more up and coming lads. Van persie was the only absolute established star from a rival. They never bought an established world star or a player who Barca or real Madrid or before that the big Italian clubs would have bought (bar possibly veron who was shite). Iā€™m not sure why this is as theyā€™ve always been rotten with money.

Since heā€™s left theyā€™ve been firing out money on absolute shite but have probably made more ā€˜high endā€™ buys pogba Lukaku etc. I think brooden is right again.

What?

For the final few years of Fergie they really stopped going after players. Ferguson would say thereā€™s no value in the market and that would be it.

He replaced ronaldo with Michael Owen, Valencia and javier Hernandez.

He didnā€™t beat a girl til she bled or worse, yet United want him gone and greenwood back.
The mental gymnastics are world class at the club even if nothing else is.

2 Likes

Because the North of England is a shithole. Plus the weather. Not nice for the Carlos Kickaball types.