Manchester United 21/22

He wouldn’t threaten the podium in the 100m sprint anyway. Apparently Mata is the only person in the squad that’s slower than him.

3 Likes

I can’t believe there’s anyone slower in the squad than Harry Maguire.

You have a proper downer on Maguire, do you think there’s anything salvageable with him, even if you stuck a top class CB beside him (the fact that Maguire was supposed to be that top class CB hasn’t evaded me). I think Ole was trying to do this with Varane but I’m not sure he’s going to live up to expectations

No I can’t see it at all.

I don’t think he can’t handle the pressure of leading the defence for a side like United, much less be captain.

He played well for Leicester so maybe a move to a team where he’s not expected to be a talisman might be good for him. He’s way out of his depth for a United team that cannot afford to be vulnerable at the back.

He should have been able to clear up Bailly’s mistake for the Burnley goal but made an wven bigger fuck of it not being able to get his feet right to block Lennon.

3 Likes

He’s a complete liability every day he goes out at the moment. Can’t remember the last day he put in a solid 90 minutes.

He’s the English Richard Dunne.

Would he not need to be even more of a talisman at a club akin to Leicester? He’s had a funny career. Much hyped as a youngster at Sheffield United but seemed to disappear from public consciousness for a few years only to reappear around 2017 as the next big thing again.

I think that’s it really, the top clubs all have a confident CB who is the leader of their defence Silva, Dias, Van Dijk etc. I don’t think Maguire is a bad defender but he’s lacking those leadership abilities you would expect from the price tag.

1 Like

He wouldn’t make the Irish team on his performances this season.

Less expectation though. Give some timbering performances in a deep lying defence and just hammer it forward.

2 Likes

The transfer struck me as Ole saying that he wanted a centre half and Woodward telling him that he could have Maguire aa they’d already been close to doing a deal in Mourinho’s last summer at the club.

If he misses any time with injury I can’t see him getting back in easily.

1 Like

Varane should be our Rolls Royce but his heart doesn’t seem to be in it anymore.

Even his last year or two for Madrid were a step down on where we was from 2013-2018.

Maguire reminds me of Skrtel and Lovren. Thinks he can win every ball so on a good day will look like Richard Dunne in Moscow but too often sells himself and spreads panic

To be honest I think you can see any of Varane, Lindelof or Bailly looking exasperated when paired with Maguire. Best pairing this season has been Varane and Lindelof for a few games before the former got injured.

I think Varane has given everything he could, he was clearly unfit away to Newcastle.

I was only thinking of that today. Aside from from Hyypia Liverpool really struggled to find a good centre back pairing during their famine. This only ended even they broke the bank for Van Djik. All the good United sides were built on solid centre backs that complimented each other.

2 Likes

God what we wouldn’t give for a Nemanja Vidic now. What a fucking player.

2 Likes

@Fran losing any bit of footballing cred he ever had.

1 Like

A very happy birthday to Sir Alex. Turns 80 today.

Brucie as well. He’s 61.

3 Likes

:flushed:

Happy Birthday Boss. Our Footballling Father :heart: :heart: :heart:

5 Likes