Manchester United est. 1878, Season 2015/2016

Fantastic player, although could be infuriating at times. 56 goals over 4 seasons, joint top scorer in 2010/11, 2 PL titles and a CL finalā€¦ Hmm, I think United would pay a lot more to have those days back.

1 Like

Berbatov was top scorer in the league one year wasnā€™t he? Not worth Ā£30m but not a flop either

That was 2011 when he was top scorer. His career at United was always a bit of a disappointment though, never quite fulfilled his potential. Mind you he won a couple of titles too.

Heā€™ll always be fondly remembered for the hat trick against the murderers.

1 Like

How many titles did Spurs win after they mugged off man united with berba and how many did United win?

5 Likes

:grin::kissing_closed_eyes::kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Ā£30.75 million in the coffers from offloading an over the hill Berbatov and just over half of it (Ā£16 million) required to sign a relatively unkown Luka Modric from Dinamo Zagreb. Dan really got the worst end of that deal alright.

Youā€™ll be trying to tell me next that title winning medalists Kleberson, Anderson and Owen Hargreaves represented good business.

Who the fuck cares about good business? United deal in titles boss. Spurs deal with accountants.

1 Like

The Hotspurs will tell you that they mugged Utd off getting Ā£3.5m for an aging Teddy Sheringham after 15 trophy less years in North London. He returned to the Hotspurs 4 years later laden with honours.
Big clubs like United will always pay a premium on transfers from feeder clubs. Levy tried to sell Berbs to Citeh, agreeing a fee with them and was seething when Berbs refused. A bit of an ABU is Dan.

2 Likes

Relativity unknown? Have the clubs in Europe were looking to sign Modric that summer. Arsenal and Barcelona both tried to sign him.

Modric was signed in April 2008 and Berbatov signed for Utd in September 2008. the two deal were not in any way linked - you mug.

Levy used the money in the next transfer window to resign Defoe and Keane and bring in Pascal Chimbonda.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the same Modric that threw his toys out of the pram because the Hotspurs wouldnā€™t sell him to Chelsea. Levy turned down Ā£40m from Chelsea and got Ā£30m from Madrid, a master negotiator indeed.

1 Like

Did they sign friazer Campbell and that Russian donkey?

They signed Campbell on loan and Pavlyuchenko for 13.7m in September.

Considering that Levy had said that he had no intention of selling Berbatov, and Berbatov mugged him off by going to United and forcing the transfer through before the deadline expired, you could say that the money to fund these moves came from selling Robbie Keane to Liverpool.

He didnā€™t strengthen his rivals though which has to have a monetary value

When it comes to any kind of any adverse word or constructive criticism of Man U around here, the Man U fans go into meltdown mode. Its a bit like the lĆØse majestĆ© law in Thailand, where criticism of the king is prohibited and any kind of a cross word relating to his majesty can land you in jail for 10 years.

In the last weeks alone, @Mullach_Ide has thrown the toys out of the pram over the Denis Law goal that all but relegated Man U in 1974 and continues to be completely befuddled over the simple fact that Man U were founded in 1878 and 1902. Theyā€™re all joining ranks now and trying to convince us Yids that Man U and not Spurs got the better end of the Dimitar Berbatov deal and Ā£30.75 million represented value for money.

There was a most distasteful exchange yesterday when they were reduced to fighting among themselves. When @anon32894817 had the temerity to suggest that the Man U academy and scouting network was maybe not as strong as it used to be, was now run by dinosaurs, was falling behind some other clubs and elite players were no longer graduating to the first team, @Mullach_Ide had another hissy fit and challenged him to name ā€˜dinosaursā€™ and other top academies that could possibly be better than his beloved Man U.

With an FA Cup final looming and the possibility of finishing fourth, @dodgy_keeper is even back on the pitch having gone missing for over four months during the sticky patch.

Cheers for the concise thread recap, mate.

3 Likes

I decided to make a stand and fight inanity with inanity, it seems to have worked, poor Jeff is on tilt all week.

This your handy work @flattythehurdler?

I donā€™t condone but I do enjoy.
Ps I have no issue with gigs trying it on with anyone. I just found it incredibly sleazy that he sent some hired goon over. ā€œRyan gigs would like you to join him at his tableā€
COAM.

1 Like

Very few at Man U it would seem. The Glazer/Man U model of taking on Ā£500 million plus of debt wouldnā€™t be Danā€™s or the modern day Tottenham Hotspur way of doing business.

The glaziers were remarkably shrewd.