Manchester United Football Club 20/21

Thatā€™s a very high return

14 in the league last season and 8 over the first two thirds of this season is a staggeringly high number of penalties. I donā€™t realise it was that many until I went and looked it up there.

I know with Spurs we always struggle to get awarded a penalty, even a stonewaller. Just the 4 in the league last season and 3 so far this season.

Did you see the Man Utd players gang up on the referee multiple times yesterday? They try and bully referees into giving decisions.

I just saw the highlights on Match of the Day last night. I wouldnā€™t have the time to be watching much live soccer. I thought those scenes were very unedifying.

A historian like yourself maybe be able to confirm this stat. In 2017/18 Spurs got more penalties at Anfield than Liverpool or they themselves got at ā€˜homeā€™ in Wembley.

Thatā€™s possibly right from a Spurs perspective. I think it was 33 league matches we played at the Empire Stadium across nearly two full seasons and the one and only penalty we were awarded was in the 33rd and final match against Woolwich.

That time we got the two penalties at Anfield, that was two thirds of our league penalty total for that season. The other one was against Burnley at Turfmoor.

1 Like

Compare their behaviour to the Liverpool players after TAA conceded one by getting kicked in the back of the head as he lay prostrate on the ground. A rueful shake of the head. After spending so much Utd shouldnā€™t really be relying on refs to assist Bruno in the big matches.

Its a cultural thing as well at a club. Youā€™d see it with certain clubs over the years, players go to ground like a ton of bricks all the time playing for penalties and are forever abusing the match officials to award them.

Roy Keaneā€™s assault on Andy Dā€™Urso escalated this trend.

Good point. Some managers with their win at all costs attitude trying to place undue pressure on refs. Mourinho and Ferguson would be the most high profile managers showing this classless attribute. Notable that the like of Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce always blamed the ref for a poor result.

Thoughts on Martinez @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy ?

Not a hope of it happening.

Donā€™t think there is any precedent of players being coughed up for missed transfer payments before.

The Chinese crowd that own Inter seem to be in some financial difficulty so when they attract some external investment it should be fine.

Well I guess it depends on how desperate inter are for money. How good is he?

Very good but itā€™s not going to happen.

Inter and their finances seem to be relatively stable as things go, the issue seems to be their owners are having difficulties but new investment is being sought.

Itā€™s a nothing to see here type thing. The same thing was said about Madrid bringing back Hakimi too.

Theyve just folded their Chinese team. Werenā€™t paying wages and dissolved the league champions!

Yeah. The Suning Group is big financial bother but I think Inter are fairly solid financially themselves. What will happen is that either external investment will come or Inter will get new owners.

It seems to be ownership issues rather than any financial problems the club has.

Inter did record a ā‚¬102m loss last year but thatā€™s actually quite low compared to other clubs in the pandemic.

For contrast - Man Utd lost Ā£118, Everton Ā£139m, Spurs Ā£150m, Roma ā‚¬204m etc

The Glazers could end up owning them for the price of Lukaku. Not a bad trade

What a guy.

1 Like

Had a chat with a friend during the week. He was saying Wes Brown is running his own academy online. The buddy signed his 10 year old up for it. Said it was great Wes sends on training games to do at home on there own and does weekly games and quizes online with the kids. Apparently very good with answering questions from parents and comes across as an alright sort. No idea what heā€™s charging, friend is on PUP so canā€™t be too much. He said its only thing keeping the young lad sane and gives some routine.

5 Likes