Manchester United Football Club 20/21

This is the interview. Jose ran up the touch line screaming ye wanted the clowns :joy:

Would I be right in thinking that one of the Turkish lads couldnā€™t get in the Celtic squad?

Didnā€™t he just get fucked out for breaking Covid rules?

Like many soccer moral statements, you can apply the cantona rule.

Well he was a regular beforehand and Celtic struggle in that position donā€™t they?

If he was a regular like cantona, he could have Kung Fu kicked a lad in the front row. If Luke Shaw did similar I suspect he would be loaned to Turkey.

Iā€™d like to see Ole moved to Director of Football. Heā€™s obviously able to spot a good player and convince players to come to the club, even if Woodward and Judge are unable to get deals over the line, but lets himself down through inconsistent tactics and coaching - one brilliant game is followed by two average ones and one terrible one before the cycle repeats itself.

The dream restructure Iā€™d like to see would be Ole as Director of Football, Poch as coach, Woodward over commercial stuff only and Van der Sar as CEO.

1 Like

Ole is a very nice man, but his squad must have cost the guts of s billion quid, and is amongst the highest paid in the world. I think it remains to be seen how good his recruitment policy is.
If you are comparing it with precious years, itā€™s a low enough bar.
If you are comparing it with klopp, not so much.
In truth, I think he sets exactly the tone that man utd should be after, but their support will have to accept that the success of the Ferguson era is not a right, and really, an aberration.

Ed Woodward doing a bit of kite flying again or else just increasing Man Yooā€™s Twitter traffic:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-united-news-pochettino-manager-19223901

His has spent roughly Ā£240m since he took over two years ago and signed: Bruno Fernandes, Wan Bissaka, Maguire, James, Ighalo, Cavani, Telles, Pellestri, VDB, and Traore.

More hit than miss, say what you like about James he only cost Ā£16m.

Maguire was foisted upon him and accounts for 33% of that spend. Still he could have fought it.

Cavano and Ighalo are stop gaps,

Fernandes, WB, Telles and VDB all look decent with few issues while the two young lads have been spoken about the as the best available of their age. They are there to be developed.

The problem is some of the senior players influencing them - once a culture sets in itā€™s hard to dislodge. I think he has signed well but the shite he inherited is the big problem.

1 Like

Ole signed contract extensions for a fair few of them lads.

I think Allergi would do a fine job at United. Has shown to be a far more more successful manager than Poch and I would say he is a level or two above him when it comes to tactical flexibility and managing egos

2 Likes

100% - Pogba being the obvious bad influence. Itā€™s not easy to move on players but heā€™s shifted on Lukaku and Sanchez. Granted the sales are not on him.

Pogba has improved but all that weā€™ve really seen is that heā€™s not good enough to justify the price tag. If the right offer comes in move him on.

Ole has done great work in moving the culture back in the right direction. One more window might be enough to complete that but I think he could do it more effectively as a DOF and allow a more experienced manager to focus on the coaching and day to day duties.

Ole is Unitedā€™s Roy Evans. Brought back the culture and feel good factor and gave youth a chance but ultimately doesnā€™t have the respect or ruthlessness to deliver the top prizes.

The obvious solution is to bring in someone like LVG as a co-manager.

1 Like

A top manager will rightly demand the final say in transfers in and out.

Thereā€™s very few managers who have a final say in transfers in and out anymore. Even contracts as well. Most managers are now coaches. Managers come and go every few seasons while the players can be there much longer. Thereā€™s also money to be made buying and selling players so again they arenā€™t going to leave it solely up to the manager in place.

You think klopp doesnā€™t have a final say on transfers?
You think Alex Ferguson didnā€™t?
Itā€™s no wonder ā€œyourā€ team continually appoint substandard managers.

Fergie is long gone out of the game now. Itā€™s changed massively since the last decade. Most clubs have directors of football in place to handle transfers. Itā€™s laughable you think otherwise. Do You think the Bayern Munich manager decided to not give Thiago an extra year on his deal because hes turning 30 :rofl:

Honestly, how the fuck would you know??