Manchester Utd 2023/24 (Part 1)

No point putting him later in the year and he gone

Ferguson bought Veron because Scholes couldn’t do it in big games. Successive England managers shunted him to the left because he couldn’t tackle so he quit in a huff. Steven Gerrard won European and FA Cup finals in his own.

3 Likes

He lost a league on his own also.

5 Likes

Had 20 odd goals and assists from DM. A herculean effort foiled by Rodgers’ naivety

2 Likes

Five years after he saw off Veron a 34 year old Scholes was starting midfielder in a CL winning team and scored the winner in the semi final against the greatest club team of all time. There’s a reason he was one of the key players on a team that won ten leagues and two champions leagues while Gerrard won only around the same amount of honours as the likes of Bobby firmino and mo salah.

1 Like

Scholes’ reputation plummeted when that video of him sucking his daughter’s toes did the rounds. What a sick fucker. You wouldn’t hear Xavi or Iniesta praising him much after that. Still better than that Sevco G though.

2 Likes

Torres missed a good bit of that season. Utd had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and possibly Saha? Liverpool hadn’t the luxury of such depth. Liverpool wouldn’t stump up 10m for Dani Alves so had to settle for Jermaine Pennant although I think he was gone at that stage.

1 Like

Liverpool love almost titles.

You celebrate Manager of the Month titles. Get up the yard

Better still. They had Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov. Yet lads are amazed that Scholes won a few league titles in an utterly dominant side. He had Roy Keane to hold his hand for most of his career. God knows how far Liverpool would have plummeted if they’d been reliant on Scholes instead of Gerrard during the 00’s. There’s not a hope Scholes would have pulled either the Champions League final or FA Cup final out of the fire like Stevie G.

Gerrard v Lampard would be a much better debate. Scholes was a level below both in all honesty.

2 Likes

No I don’t.

Paul Scholes was past his peak in 04 id say after an injury.

Klopp couldn’t get a tune of a player like Paul Scholes. It’s similar with Thiago.

He can’t coach technical players.

2 Likes

Hammer thrower Trent has more career assists already than technician Scholes.

Sure he was absent from the 99 European Cup Final due to his usual comical tackling. Nicky Butt regularly stepped into the side and they didn’t miss a beat. Keane and Beckham were the standouts in that midfield

A right back which sort of tells you everything you need to know when a right back is your creative player.

Paul Scholes played for nearly ten years after Roy Keane and David beckham left.

For a finish it was him, Giggs and Carrick.

Mr Ferguson admired Gerrard.

Very true. I wouldn’t compare Lampard with Gerrard though. Lampard had a grand mix of water carriers and threats to distract opposition. Scholes’ reputation is going on what Zidane said rather than any actual footballing ability.

I’d say his reputation is built around being at man United for nearly 20 odd years winning 11 league titles and various other trophies.