Marian Finucane's South Dublin Coffee Morning - Official Thread

Sad show this morning. The rise of Sinn Fein is ominous for the country. And on top of that, poor Tony O’Reilly is in serious financial trouble. Show favourite Stephen O’Byrnes spoke for the nation as a whole when he says there will be no gloating at Sir Anthony’s troubles. He wasn’t just a great businessman, he was a great rugby player as well. This recession has hit everybody hard, but none more so than Sir Anthony (although I believe there may have been some cuts to special needs assistants and carers as well, and that shouldn’t be forgotten, yada yada yada).

One of the other guests had a wonderful anecdote about how when he was a cub reporter at Independent Newspapers, Sir Anthony would leave tins of beans and other wonderful assorted Heinz products in the office during the festive season for staff to take home as presents. A man of the people if ever there was one, and a man who always had Ireland at heart.

Stephen O’Byrnes also spoke for the nation when he warned of the dangers of trade unions, particularly in the aeronautical sector, and cited some well researched made up statistics to make his case. Stephen really knows his politics, as a former member of the Progressive Democrats.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 949078, member: 2660”]Sad show this morning. The rise of Sinn Fein is ominous for the country. And on top of that, poor Tony O’Reilly is in serious financial trouble. Show favourite Stephen O’Byrnes spoke for the nation as a whole when he says there will be no gloating at Sir Anthony’s troubles. He wasn’t just a great businessman, he was a great rugby player as well. This recession has hit everybody hard, but none more so than Sir Anthony (although I believe there may have been some cuts to special needs assistants and carers as well, and that shouldn’t be forgotten, yada yada yada).

One of the other guests had a wonderful anecdote about how when he was a cub reporter at Independent Newspapers, Sir Anthony would leave tins of beans and other wonderful assorted Heinz products in the office during the festive season for staff to take home as presents. A man of the people if ever there was one, and a man who always had Ireland at heart.

Stephen O’Byrnes also spoke for the nation when he warned of the dangers of trade unions, particularly in the aeronautical sector, and cited some well researched made up statistics to make his case. Stephen really knows his politics, as a former member of the Progressive Democrats.[/QUOTE]

brilliant post

That O’Byrnes cunt is originally from Limerick but was run out of here at an early age once he learned to speak.

Seen in the paper yesterday that AIB are chasing O’Reilly for millions. Sir Anthony’s ego will take a battering over that.

Who is this O’Byrnes chap, how has he blagged his way into the media?

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 949099, member: 1552”]Seen in the paper yesterday that AIB are chasing O’Reilly for millions. Sir Anthony’s ego will take a battering over that.

Who is this O’Byrnes chap, how has he blagged his way into the media?[/QUOTE]
He usually pops up on Marian’s show the morning after a big rugby match to say how great the chaps are and how proud we all are of them.

This lovely little letter to the Indo was also posted up here a couple of months ago:

While not wanting to take one whit from the richly deserved adulation accorded by the Irish public toBrian O’Driscoll in the past few weeks to mark his international retirement, please let us spare a thought for another of our rugby superstars, Ronan O’Gara.

O’Gara’s playing achievements were no less outstanding than BOD’s. He is Ireland’s second most capped player (128), and the third most capped in rugby union history. He is the all-time highest points scorer for Ireland and is the fourth highest points scorer in the history of rugby union. He also holds the Heineken Cup record for points scored (an amazing 1,365) in that competition.

He captained Munster[/URL], Ireland and the Lions, and won four Triple Crowns with Ireland and two Heineken Cups with Munster. Who will ever forget his drop goal in 2009 against[URL=‘http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Wales’]Wales[/URL]which won us our only [URL=‘http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Six_Nations_Championship’]Six Nations[/URL]’ Grand Slam, or his nerveless 84th-minute drop-goal, after 41 phases of play, to secure victory for Munster against[URL=‘http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Northampton_Saints’]Northamptonin the 2012 Heineken Cup campaign?

Sadly and inexplicably, O’Gara was accorded no opportunity for a glorious and celebrated retirement from the international rugby fray. His fate at the hands of Ireland’s then rugby management a year ago was to be left out of the 23-man squad for our final Six Nations game, against Italy, which we lost. A great player was badly wronged.

[B]STEPHEN O’BYRNESMOREHAMPTON ROAD, DUBLIN4

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/l…hout-out-for-quiet-man-at-no-10-30115321.html[/B]

I remember a few weeks/months ago on here someone linked up a ridiculous pro rugby football letter from a national newspaper. I think it was post 6 nations win against France or Munster beating the Toulouse pub team. It was vomit inducing, I’m certain it was written by an O’Byrnes chap (someone commented on the unusual surname so it stuck in my mind) - could be the same cunt?

Edit - just seen the above link. :oops:

Learning to speak is a success story in parts of the country.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 949103, member: 1552”]
Edit - just seen the above link. :oops:[/QUOTE]
I have a rather annoying tendency to edit my posts in the two to three minutes after I initially post them.

Really enjoyed the civilised, folksy, and most of all, cheerful chat this morning as I savoured my cappuccino and feta and spinach wrap. Some chap called Maurice made the point in a respectful, reasonable, balanced, yet cheerful manner that it must be terribly disruptive for the native Israeli citizens (the only democracy in the Middle East, don’t forget) to have to put up with all those rockets from the savage invader, and you couldn’t help but feel sympathy for their terrible plight after hearing Maurice’s lovely words. They’re people like us, people like us. Well at least they’re a bit more like us than the other savages.

Then after midday there was a lovely, pointless, but beautifully civilised discussion about the historical merits of various former US Presidents.

Splendid:clap:

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 993731, member: 2660”]Really enjoyed the civilised, folksy, and most of all, cheerful chat this morning as I savoured my cappuccino and feta and spinach wrap. Some chap called Maurice made the point in a respectful, reasonable, balanced, yet cheerful manner that it must be terribly disruptive for the native Israeli citizens (the only democracy in the Middle East, don’t forget) to have to put up with all those rockets from the savage invader, and you couldn’t help but feel sympathy for their terrible plight after hearing Maurice’s lovely words. They’re people like us, people like us. Well at least they’re a bit more like us than the other savages.

Then after midday there was a lovely, pointless, but beautifully civilised discussion about the historical merits of various former US Presidents.[/QUOTE]

it’s pretty disruptive all right, he has a point

And this disruption should be what we focus on.

Are they really people like us, mate?

its a matter of personal choice but the bottom line is there is some disruption

Does Middle Ireland know that one of its heroes, Irish rugby international Gordon D’Arcy, was pictured sporting a beard and holding a Palestinian terrorist flag yesterday?

Does Middle Ireland know it has a fifth columnist lurking amongst its ranks?

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 993745, member: 2660”]Does Middle Ireland know that one of its heroes, Irish rugby international Gordon D’Arcy, was pictured sporting a beard and holding a Palestinian terrorist flag yesterday?

Does Middle Ireland know it has a fifth columnist lurking amongst its ranks?[/QUOTE]

The old beard and flag combination never fails to shock.

Another rugby fella, Trevor Hogan (Tipp but ended up playing for Leinster), went over with a few others to try breach the Gaza blockade with some medical supplies a few months ago. Their boat was stopped and boarded by Israeli soldiers who, apparently, went to town on Hogan when they saw the size of him.

That Marion finucane is an awful whingy cunt. Unlistenable shite most weekends.

[QUOTE=“The Scouse Cafu, post: 993731, member: 2660”]Really enjoyed the civilised, folksy, and most of all, cheerful chat this morning as I savoured my cappuccino and feta and spinach wrap. Some chap called Maurice made the point in a respectful, reasonable, balanced, yet cheerful manner that it must be terribly disruptive for the native Israeli citizens (the only democracy in the Middle East, don’t forget) to have to put up with all those rockets from the savage invader, and you couldn’t help but feel sympathy for their terrible plight after hearing Maurice’s lovely words. They’re people like us, people like us. Well at least they’re a bit more like us than the other savages.

Then after midday there was a lovely, pointless, but beautifully civilised discussion about the historical merits of various former US Presidents.[/QUOTE]

Is this available on podcast, I need something to angry up the blood

Don’t you dare go down that path. Just watch a Sky Sports review of the Premier League Season for 2013/14.

I’m over that, I want to hear more about the heathen savages