Matters Regarding Limerick 🏙️

Shauntrode used to have horse shit and hoof marks that added a bobble to the ball. Kilcornan have a fine set up

2 Likes

We used do the same except with burnt out cars

Shountrade was my least favourite pitch by a mile. Not only was the pitch covered in actual shit, it was also an absolutely shocking surface.

Kilcornan was grand as you could stop into the Coach at full-time.

Used to like Granagh’s pitch.

Pallas was a bit of a fortress wasn’t it? You had to go in this long passage to get into it and was there walls around part of the pitch? I played Junior there at 16, chipped the keeper and it just went over, skimmed the bar. Centre half, a huge bastard with long hair, says “I wouldn’t fuckin try that again”… I didn’t! :laughing: There was a fella used to play right back for Pallas with a beard who was definitely 40 odd years old that time and when I finished up playing 10 or 12 years later he was still fuckin playing, up and down the wing like you’d wind him up.

Glin Rovers another bastard of a spot, always a row out there, horrible shower

2 Likes

Yeah, passage into it alright, wasn’t quite Rathbane now but we used to do alright at home.

Pa Kiely was a long-serving player alright; he was still playing well into his 40s. He wasn’t a bad oul player in fairness to him, could fair ping a pass. Fit as a fiddle.

That the lad with the beard? He was a fine player.

Who was the big huge centre back with the long hair?

I used to have war with a centre back that played with Bally Rovers, another huge fella, Dineen was his name.

We; actually had a few centre-backs with long hair :joy:

I’d say that might have been Cain McKee though, he had long hair for a while, I think. He passed away a couple of years ago playing football back in Kilcornan. Very nice fella; massive Burnley fan.

2 Likes

That’s the Prods behind the Maternity. Shelbourne Park is the otherside of Stenson Park

1 Like

There’s a place you don’t hear mention of too much.

Always been a relatively quiet estate.

Sad news coming through this evening in relation to Ciarán Carey’s brother Paul. He died in a car accident in Dubai yesterday. Absolutely devastating for his family, with their second child on the way. Rest in peace.

Awful news. Bed of heaven to him.

1 Like

RIP. Awful news to hear. He was a very nice man.

RIP, sad news.

It’s desperate sad. I would have kinda known him, a gas fucker. My abiding memory of him is when we shared a table at an ex-forumites wedding and he ended up setting the table on fire. :grinning:

11 Likes

Eight gardaĂ­ were suspended across Munster yesterday in a dramatic escalation of an on-going investigation into alleged corruption in public office.

The scale of suspensions of serving members in connection with a single inquiry is thought to be unprecedented in the Force and has sent shockwaves through local Garda divisions, sources said.

The suspensions are linked to an on-going investigation led by the National Bureau of Criminal Investigations (NBCI) into allegations that gardaĂ­ interfered with or quashed fixed-charge penalty notices.

Garda headquarters confirmed the development last night.

A statement issued to the Sunday Independent said: "Further to an on-going investigation led by the Assistant Commissioner Special Crime Operations, involving personnel attached to the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation (NBCI), eight members of An Garda SĂ­ochĂĄna have today been suspended.

“This element of the investigation is focused on corruption in public office. As this is an on-going investigation, An Garda Síochána will not be commenting on the rank or the location of the members of An Garda Síochána who have been suspended today.”

The investigation into alleged interference with fixed-charge penalty notices emerged from a broader probe of alleged corruption in the force during which three gardaĂ­ were arrested.

During the course of that inquiry, the NBCI came across allegations that gardaĂ­ had squared summons for GAA figures which were thought to relate to road traffic issues. The homes of several players and officials were searched and mobile phones were seized.

A large number of local gardaĂ­ were interviewed by detectives with the NBCI as part of that investigation. The suspension of eight serving gardaĂ­ marks a significant ramping up of their inquiries.

Meanwhile, a Garda superintendent who was arrested and suspended last year in connection with the NBCI corruption inquiry is to retire, the Sunday Independent has learned.

Superintendent Eamon O’Neill, who faced criminal and disciplinary investigations, is understood to be retiring on health grounds with effect from tonight. His retirement from the Force means that the disciplinary proceedings he faces will be dropped.

Mr O’Neill was accused of allegedly “fixing” more than 30 fixed-charge penalty notices and court summonses relating to road traffic offences.

His retirement follows his unsuccessful High Court bid to overturn his suspension, in which he described the allegations against him as preposterous and false.

During the course of the hearing, the High Court heard how he was accused of telling a garda who was then under investigation about a listening device on a his car. He was also accused of being present in a pub in Limerick in January last year when another garda colleague was alleged to have taken cocaine in his presence. Mr O’Neill denied all allegations. A retired chief superintendent, Gerry Mahon, swore an affidavit in Mr O’Neill’s favour saying he had read the documentation in the case and had “very serious concerns that a major miscarriage of justice is being perpetrated”.

“His retirement from the Force means that the disciplinary proceedings he faces will be dropped”
Well that’s handy isn’t it.

4 Likes

A most convenient ending which suits all parties…

2 Likes

Correct. Nothing to see here. Move along.

:ronnyroar:

1 Like

Full pension?

1 Like