Matters Regarding Limerick 🏙️

Noel was a legend. ‘Play away play away’ he’d roar and a trail of dismembered bodies behind him. GBH warranted a telling off. Great days except for playing Hill Celtic and you’d to go the Steering Wheel for a pint afterwards…

I went on a right fucking ramble there alright mate. Apologies.

this is around the 4th time we have had these yarns recycled

2 Likes

St. Bens (Tullylease, Co. Cork) played in the Desmond for years. I don’t know if they’re still going. They were renamed Tully Rovers for a spell. Were a fine side one time. Their pitch was in the middle of nowhere with a running track around it

Jesus I used to hate playing back in Tarbert v Ferry Rangers

1 Like

The worst conditions I ever played in was back against Ferry, the rain wasn’t dissimilar to Cork yesterday.

Ball getting stuck in puddles in the goalmouth and fellas kicking anything that moved.

1 Like

Killeaney was always a horrible away trip too as a youngster.

Took ages to get there and it was always pissing rain on an utter cabbage patch of a pitch.

Pints in the Knockdown Arms after, surely

1 Like

Behind the hotel? The shipping containers for dressing rooms are depressing

That place was legendary in the 1980s and 1990s ,

Pitch was a disaster. It was literally a bog.
They have a great setup now.

No, the pints were always after being away to Creeves in Newbridge.

The Thatch, a noble spot back in the day.

3 Likes

Did you ever stick one past Seamie?

:soccer:

At the risk of repeating old tales here - The Millstream Park in Glantine was iconic

1 Like

No, big Seamie always made himself big.

Stuck one past Timmy Houlihan in an u-21 hurling match though alright. A career highlight.

The one with the tree?

1 Like

For him too by the sound of it :joy:

Timmy :ronnyroar:

Jesus, only the one place?
When I started playing junior soccer it was obligatory and considered very bad form if you don’t go back to other teams pub after every game. You’d get some great feeds.

Barretts in Ballingarry was great for bringing out baskets of sausages, puddings and buttered bread.

1 Like

Bally Rovers was an awful bastard of a spot. Togging out in your car and going out to play the local mucksavages on a shit narrow pitch. Athea Utds old pitch the same. Your team mate would be taking a corner and you’d only see his head as he whipped it in! There used to be bales of silage behind the goals there and we played them in a league opener one day. Drawing 1-1 with time up and we broke away down the right, ball put in the box and I managed to get a nod to it, GOAL!!! I went baloobas and made straight for the nearest bale, jumped clean up on it and out over the other side, nearly brained myself! Ah great memories…
I should say both Athea Utd and Bally Rovers have unbelievable facilities now, as do the aforementioned Killeaney FC and Glantine FC, serious setups but once upon a time it was welcome to hell territory!

Kildimo was another bastard of a spot, again no dressing rooms and always really difficult side to play against. Is it still the same down there?

I used to love playing in Ballygowan Park (NCW AFC) , class pitch

2 Likes

Nearly all the pitches were shocking then.
We used to have to go 20 minutes early to home games to shovel the cow shit off the field before the ref arrived.

1 Like

Yeah, the Kildimo boys obviously didn’t get any of those grants. Still a shit pitch, still no dressing rooms.

We sealed an underage league title there once though, so won’t give out too much about it.