Memories of the Celtic Tiger

Do you need a hug?

Sheesh, Glenda and Johnny were a post Celtic Tiger item, everyone knows what. No surprise that the VIP magazine interview didn’t go so well for @Malarkey.

1 Like

Christ above.

5 Likes

@Malarkey the mess

@BruidheanChaorthainn there was absolute monster crowds that period but not sure if they ever crossed 50k in ballybrit. Galway races was putrid

1 Like

The rumble in Ranelagh in 2010 was a metaphor of the time. The property developer getting a swift knee to the balls.

I was there that day. It was absolute madness. How there wasn’t a major helicopter crash I’ll never now. The whole concourse was choc a block. Like the type of a crowd density that you’d normally get three feet from a bar. But it was everywhere. Ended up going down to the far end of the concourse, the part furthest away from the parade ring. Had a great day.

I recall leaving and I saw a lad I knew from school queuing for a helicopter. He was from a ten minute drive from Ballybrit. He was also one of the dumbest fellas I had ever met. But he had ‘gotten into property’. If that wasn’t the canary in the coal mine moment, then I don’t know what wasn’t.

They were the best of days.

26 Likes

Genius.

Some very on the nose stuff in this

7 Likes

I was born in the wrong era. That sounds like incredible fun or being born in the 1920s and becoming a paratrooper

Don’t put yourself down, you could have been boring at anytime in history mate

31 Likes

Instant nice post incoming…

and delivered!

18 minutes. I thought it would be quicker.

Apparently, the butcher in moycullen lost his shirt in property development in Dublin.
A great tiger metaphor (or canary or something)

1 Like

i blame the weather

Nah it’s the split season

The only word to describe it was debauchery. Yer man queuing for the chopper told me he was ‘doing a trade’. The thought of letting this egjit anywhere near your house is harrowing.

Deep down inside, we all knew that it was all going to go tits up eventually. There’s was loads of money that we didn’t earn or know where it came from. No social media. September All Ireland Finals. Property portfolios only four hours from Sofia. They were great days.

3 Likes

There was an iconic post on here about lads having a water fight building Thomond park on a Thursdays evening facing into a four day weekend.

I remember a pal of my dads constantly complaining he couldn’t get young lads to work five days a week.

2 Likes