Memories of the Celtic Tiger

This is one of the greatest ever tfk posts

2 Likes

I heard a good one recently about a couple of lads I went to school with. Both are qualified fitters but aside from a few handy nixers they have been doing fuck all for the past decade - typical auld village mentality corner boys.

Good friend of mine is a subbie above in intel and was badly stuck for a couple of GOs. Simply needed lads to walk beside the teleported hauling stuff up and down the site and man/move the odd barrier. So he got the two boys in. First week or two went alright.
On the Wednesday morning of week three there was no sign off the boys - calling all day and no answer from either.

He finished up for the day and arrived into one of the pubs in Newbridge where the digs are to get his dinner. The two boys half steamed are there all sheepish - my man says ye better have a good excuse or ye can fuck off back home - the story they cobbled together was that they took the wrong exit on the roundabout leaving Newbridge and went in the wrong direction and didn’t know how to get to Leixslip from that direction and sure there was fuck all else that they could do aside from finding an early house.

One of them jacked it in a couple of weeks later, said he couldn’t make any money up there and it wasn’t worth the hassle. He was getting €1100 a week between wages and lodge.

12 Likes

Executive Helicopters in Oranmore did some bidness back then. There were deals to be done and a lad could lose thousands by delaying things and arriving by car… take the sikorsky to fuck. Tullamore in 20 minutes a fella told me once, I never asked him what he was doing there but he was chippying in Melbourne last I heard.

Any bidness man worth his salt at the time had a driver too. I remember this wanker from around Claregalway used to have this poor square head cunt trapesing around after him in the Warrick at his beck and call until your man decided he wanted to home.

Mrs KP was telling me about the Foreign Property Expo in the RDS in 2006, it was something else… with every cunt trying to outdo each other with the biggest stand. Lads spending 50k on flashy stands to sell property off the plans in Tampa and Hungary to lads from Murtyskully.

32 Likes

Brilliant.

Is Murtyskully an actual place or did you just make it up?

8 Likes

A builder once told me with a straight face that a helicopter crash wasn’t as straightforward as a car crash as you had to notify the Irish Aviation Authority.

15 Likes

You can’t buy time😂

I’m not so sure.

I don’t think most understood it.

We were coming from where the State finances were the be all and end all.

The taps were open internationally and people went crazy from about 2002 to late 2006.

Live 8 was probably the peak of Western Civilisation.

The End of History stuff from the 90s was very much the vibe, with some additional excesses following 9/11 where people felt shocked but got through it.

The story still to be written is how over the top 2008 and the collapse was globally. Bertie was right.

2 Likes

It’s an absolutely brilliant post

1 Like

I don’t understand any of that. I preferred the posts about murtskully and teleporters

5 Likes

I think it’s the plot of Succession mate

I (coincidentally?) worked in several financial institutions that subsequently collapsed in disgrace, but this was one of my weird memories of the Celtic Tiger era. I can’t recall if it was because of an IT outage or maybe the brochure template was late coming back from the designer or whatever the fuck, but everyone & I mean everyone & not just junior staff, working til all hours in Anglo the night before the 2006 Ryder Cup started. Printers whirring, pages being organised, into the machines to bind them & stick covers on them. Loads of separate little production lines in operation as these brochures needed to be ready to hand out to the VIPs flying in for the golf that weekend. Presumably to advertise property investment & other wealth management opportunities. The brochures were just one item going into the “party bags” for these invited guests/men-children…Anglo golf balls, umbrellas, ball markers, pens & all that type of shite too. I remember loading all this stuff out into the lifts & down to the lobby to be collected by a few courier vans. The gifts would have been waiting for guests at their breakfast seat in the Anglo corporate tent at The K Club. Woosie did a superb job that weekend, it has to be said.

9 Likes

Speaking of which

https://twitter.com/busttoboom/status/1810692265653817812?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

1 Like

Perhaps. And maybe I’m looking at it with the benefit of hindsight now. But what was going on was so crazy, it was like the entire country/western world was drunk. The hangover had to come at some point.

2 Likes

I never realised that was an actual quote people in here were referencing!

1 Like

I’d love another Celtic tiger. It’s nearly worth big bang afterwards

You’re living in one without realising it…just those feeling the real benefit are a smaller cohort now and those left behind much bigger

10 Likes

Nothing boomy about lock down tbf and that sort of thing

House prices and rents rocketing…strikes for more pay…massive gov surplus…interest rates generally low…people surviving on debt…reins far tighter on the banks and when it goes bust it will the vulture funds get burned…their reaction will be far swifter and more extreme than we saw at Celtic tiger