Memories of the Celtic Tiger

Once Máirtín Tom Sheáinín Mac Donncha mobilizes us into a militia the only thing stopping us will be a few handy cash in hand labouring jobs thall i Londain.

4 Likes

I mean sending kids to private schools is a clear benefit. It’s a choice.

That’s €14k nearly after tax. You’d be able to get a mortgage payment of €4k on a €1m house, less if you have built a good whack of equity on the house. That’s smack in the middle of any affordability range.

Hardly a new phenomenon at all.

It is a benefit…is it always a choice though? I lived in Miltown for years…was no public national school in the parish…lots of areas you’d struggle to get into any decent free school if you moved there when kids were 5 or 6 and no connection to area or school

Whatever about secondary schools, there is nowhere in Dublin not covered by free primary/junior schools.

There must be very few private primary schools anywhere in the country. I know there’s Willow and some weird one near Merrion Square but are there many more?

1 Like

There’s a load of them. Alex, Sandford Parish, Michael’s, Mount Anville to name a few off the top of my head.

1 Like

There’s over 50. Many of them are really small and mostly co-Ed.

A few closed in the last few decades Pres Glasthule (ultimately killed the senior school), Belvedere, Gonzaga, Loreto Foxrock and some others.

1 Like

I suppose the play is you get the kid into the senior school without having the traditional angst about where you are going to send the child to secondary school. One of the great dramas of being a middle class Dubliner.

Edit. Or more correctly a person who has ascended to the middle class in Dublin without having attended a private school themselves.

They are full of children of Chinese migrants and other migrants now alongside the middle class.

1 Like

There’s actually 3 @Jimmy_Mc_Nulty too.

3 Likes

No, real Connemara cc @Diabhal :wink:. Out near Roundstone myself and @Jimmy_Mc_Nulty hail from.

3 Likes

Flatty might as well be Kilconly imo. He just doesn’t have the ruthlessness to be a Cunnie.

2 Likes

Beidh muid scriosta ag an ól thall i gClapham Common!

2 Likes

Sounds like he’ll need his flute examined if he gets his hole too if it’s that easy

Is it not more of an empty nester, childless couple or single person thing? I thought it was unusual to rent rooms to random sorts while you’ve a busy house & are raising young children. But naturally I’d defer to you on all SoCoDub matters, particularly if they have links any/all of the following: rubby, property, the formidable Jennifer Carroll-MacNeill, private schools, Gaz from Michael’s Restaurant.

And Eoghan Murphy of course

2 Likes

Taking a student in wouldn’t have been out of the norm. A lot of language schools as well as the colleges around that way.

Probably a more socially acceptable way to have a lodger too for many.

The Chinese tend to be good at hard sums.

2 Likes

Ah you replied to the first post which referenced renting rooms to workers rather than the language student one.