Missing People In Ireland

They did say last December that the lad who looked to be following him on Haddington Road had been found and removed as a person of interest.

There was a criminal family in crumlin who used to do a bit of pimping and dealing around the canal to the streetwalkers. They were prime suspects in the murder of Sinead Kelly, who occasionally worked the canal and was battling addiction. They were considered possible suspects in the Deely case, and if I remember right, a dig by the Gardai in Chapelizod was based on information given by an inmate about the Deely case, on land allegedly used by the family to bury stuff. I’m sketchy on the details but an old gun may have turned up, but no body. It could easily have been someone playing with the guards or someone with no information trying to engineer a reduced sentence. The canals were dredged and they reckon his body couldn’t have drifted far if he’d fallen in the water. My theory is that he met a bad actor on the canal, or in one of the dwellings used by the sexworkers, or accidentally overdosed in a similar establishment.

4 Likes

Could he have fallen into the dodder? That was the other theory, but I don’t know the geography.
They pretty much ruled out the grand canal and basin anyway afair.

2 Likes

I think he fell in and got washed away. Was a right rough night.

1 Like

The Dodder flows right by the Canal Basin I’m fairly sure so not sure if that would mean anything. And he’d have had a good 15-20 mins walk from his last sighting to get to the Dodder so it’s very unlikely he wouldn’t have been spotted if he walked for that long

Would it have been a long way out of his way?

He lived on Serpentine Avenue which I think is behind the old AIB in Ballsbridge. He’d have crossed the Dodder either in Ballsbridge which would be highly visible or at the back of the old Lansdowne Road near the Sandymount hotel. This place would be far more isolated and if someone was to accost him and get him into the river then this location would be far more likely. It’s fairly close too from where the Dodder enters the Liffey.

But it’s still a long walk from his last sighting and even though there was a taxi strike I’d be very surprised for a truck driver or early morning delivery person not to see him along that route.

Was a wild wild night though.

Someone on here drew attention to his trip to Alaska immediately before he went missing to see a girl who didn’t share his level of affection. It was hypothesised that his state of mind may not have been great.

2 Likes

Which may be the reason he went into his office. To ring her.

I have some sort of recollection of that.

No - he rang a male friend.

1 Like

A bit of an odd part of the story alright, but it didn’t seem to stick as a solid theory for his disappearance.

1 Like

Knew nothing of this part in this tragedy

1 Like

The guards seemed to suggest the Alaska thing was a dead end or irrelevant but to me seems highly coincidental he fell off the face of the earth about two weeks after returning from a love venture gone wrong. The working theory was he was just talking to her online or whatever (or maybe over phone) and travelled across the world in the hope they would embark on a romantic liaison but the endeavour was spurned. That was a big task to go out there and do that and he likely had a lot of emotional investment in it. The heartbreak of that two weeks later and full to the gills with drink walking along the Liffey at 3 in the morning over Christmas and who knows. Unfortunately it seems as likely to me that he entered the water voluntarily / on the spur of the moment as coming to harm due to a very bad actor.

7 Likes