Moral question

I bought a motorbike helmet today off a private seller.
He asked for bank transfer or PayPal, and sent me his PayPal address.
I paid him via PayPal.
He’s now said he’s posted it, but has asked me to pay him a £10 donation on friends and family, because I didn’t pay using friends and family, and he’s been charged a £10 fee.
I didn’t realize this was even a thing, and I’m inclined to ignore him.
What does anyone think?
I don’t want to stiff someone either.

1 Like

Scammers always ask for the friends and family option fwiw

I think you should pay him the tenner if you’re still ok with the price
Check the helmet first

He is being genuine, he’s down the tenner

1 Like

Pay him the tenner lad,if it’s a scam PayPal will sort you out

He should have said he wanted to be paid that way.
I’m suspicious.

1 Like

Not if you click on the “friends” option. Wait for the helmet to arrive first at the very least

2 Likes

Dont wear a used helmet

11 Likes

The ‘friends and family’ option basically removes a big acceptance fee for the seller. It is the standard now for people to use this option, but it’s standard practice for sellers to highlight when discussing the price method to use this method. Pay it if you feel like it, but his mistake will cost you an extra tenner.

2 Likes

I’d be too embarrassed to ask for the tenner i think. I’d wait until you get it in the post anyway first.

…and then tell him get fucked

2 Likes

Oh yeah,I thought he had it

I’d agree with this anyway.

I’ve often paid (and got paid) for stuff through the 'friends and family’s thing. This fella never stipulated that though so perhaps you should be paying him a fiver and he takes the hit on the other five.

An option here @flattythehurdler is for him to cancel the original payment and then you re-send him a payment as “f&f”.

1 Like

Superbly devious. Put the trust issue onto him

Not my first rodeo

Will the helmet fit your big papier mache macnas head?

16 Likes

He’s not charged 10 pounds I’d suggest
If u use pay pay friends n family
You’re not covered

This option is used on adverts regularly ref electronic goods etc
High price phones etc
Think it lessens your chance of a refund etc if one goes down the friend n family route,
Wouldn’t go there with some stranger

There’s no buyer protection with ‘friends and family’, so there’s no come-back if it doesn’t arrive.

I’d definitely wait for it to arrive and make sure everything is ok.

1 Like

Not the biggest moral question humanity has ever faced, you feel.

3 Likes

It has arrived. I paid £310 as asked. I don’t feel I owe more. I didn’t know there was a PayPal fee and the seller didn’t say anything other than PayPal.
Hmm.
I think I’ll pay half.
Half of me thinks he’s got a fair neck to even ask

You said he offered bank transfer as well?

Maybe I’m naive but I’d be a fucker for karma with stuff like that. If you lost a tenner out of your pocket I’d say you wouldn’t even go looking for it. Pay it.

2 Likes