More GAA Shame

This.

Humans are so clearly not able to deal with the toys and the rabbit holes the internet throws at them.

It would help. Big diffetence between pluging a few numbers into an online slip and having to withdraw cash and go into a betting shop to place a bet.

2 Likes

Scratch cards another cancer on society

3 Likes

I’ve said it repeatedly and have been roundly mocked for it. It’s a despicable act and the fact that it is supported is a fucking solid disgrace. If an industry of sport can’t stand on its own without it, it should be let fall

3 Likes

it’s sad that someone comes out with a line “gambling is fine if you can do it responsibly”, a line directly from the gambling industry playbook.

There’s countless reasons, in every parish in every county.

Some of the people in the looney bin where I was were stone mad for the scratch cards.

“Where are the scratch cards? When is somebody going to the shop to get the scratch cards? So please, the scratch cards.”

The very last people who should be spending their money on them.

5 Likes

As a fella who doesn’t gamble and doesn’t have any interest in horse racing, both seem to be fairly tied together.
Would there be the same interest in horse racing if there was no betting going on? I mean for the ordinary joe. I know people who would love the thrill of it regardless but would the pubs be packed on gold cup or on grand National day if there was no betting at all on the races?

2 Likes

Often hear of banks turning down mortgage applications too once they see regular gambling activity on a bank account.

1 Like

Most certainly not

1 Like

The man in question has had an awful time and deserves every consideration. He will have his own perspective and is entitled to it. But I am reliably told the pariah aspect is not true. If anything, the opposite is true.

People need to remember the legal process cannot be prejudged or foreshortened.

1 Like

That’s definitely not true. Nobody young is betting on horse racing like before. It’s a niche now.

There will be more bet on soccer every weekend than say Cheltenham in the main stream bookies.

The psychological aspects of what leads people into a gambling addiction are the same as what leads people into drug dealing.

Get rich quick, without effort.

1 Like

I think the less said in such cases is nearly always the better. A tragic case is a tragic case – and has nothing to do with an intercounty rivalry.

Mr Brophy is not able to deal with a few obvious queries. You would wonder.

He will end up as an ad for Gleeson Quarries.

1 Like

Spiritual vacuum. Echoes of Sodom and Gommorah.

Opportunity and the facilitation to gamble needs to be looked at and tightened.

Look at where bookie shops are located. You can find at least one in any pretty small town anywhere in Ireland.
Look at where they are located in the bigger towns and cities, they have infiltrated the poorest areas of urban life.
Look at apps available. Look at what people can actually gamble on. I know women on welfare that gamble their “pay” on picking random lotto numbers in bookie shops.
Gambling is glamourised. The winning boast is lauded and talked of even if it’s shit winnings at silly low odds but the losses are never mentioned. It’s like the angler that never tells you about the tiddlers.
Even the lottery scratch cards :face_with_peeking_eye:

You’re one of the people who isn’t able to deal with the rabbit holes the internet throws at you.

Nanny statism is not the cure for what ails us.

In larger towns and cities a bookies shop is located beside or across the road from a pub.

And they bookies are no longer a pokey room and a small counter to hand in a slip of paper. They are like hotel lobby’s. Giving out free teas and coffees. One down this was gave out sandwiches during Cheltenham. They have slots in them now too and screens showing a ball of sports and any number of sofas to sit off in.

2 Likes

The State practically encourages it.

1 Like