More GAA Shame

Honestly you maybe correct but go look at the percentage of money being bet on line.

Anybody mildly successful at betting will get their online accounts closed very quickly.

The shops arenā€™t a golden goose the same way on course bookmakers struggle massively because the people turning up are the guys who are closed down on line and know what they are at. Itā€™s the same with the shops now.

I can think of ten betting companies and only 4 have shops. They far from the issue.

When I first went into a bookiesā€™ shop, around about March 1999, if you wanted to bet Ā£1.00 on Florida Pearl to win the Cheltenham Gold Cup you had to pay Ā£1.10. Then it went to Ā£1.05, then Ā£1.00, because of Mr. McCreevy.

Ramp it up to Ā£1.50.

2 Likes

That idea is basically making it much worse. The only people betting would be the problem gamblers.

Itā€™s often a social thing. We used to talk about sport non stop in secondary school and there was a bit of gambling going on as 16/17 year olds, not to mind what happens in college.

Gambling is a curse and is about to push big parts of the US over the cliff.

Maybe Im way off here, but yer man wasnā€™t giving him a loan, he thought it was a investment and heā€™d double his money. He was also gambling FFS but he backed the wrong pony.

Also going by the targeted ads at the end of the article Fagan is as deaf as a post and has a mold issue in the house currently.

4 Likes

You might stop creating problem gamblers.

An alternative is to put a tax on online gambling only. If there was no tax in bookiesā€™ shops and a 50% or 100% tax on online gambling, fuck all people would gamble online any more.

Your rationale is the same as that which says that the price of cigarettes should be lower as smokers are going to smoke anyway, and by jacking the price of cigarettes up to 15 or 16 quid for a pack of 20 youā€™re making these people poorer.

There is a certain element of truth to that, but itā€™s also going to stop a lot of people taking up smoking.

Yes that just my tuppence worth, as anecdotal as it maybe itā€™s what I see everyday.
Thereā€™s THREE betting shops in my town. Uno, Dos, Tresā€¦ and has never been any less than that. They are not there for the ā€˜serviceā€™ they provide.

No Sidney thatā€™s not my rationale at all. Problem gamblers arenā€™t going to stop because thereā€™s a tax. Theyā€™re just going to keep losing.

Ban online gambling itā€™s simple really.

I remember that also. But I also remember a bookie who waived the tax for her regulars.

There was no tax on course.

1 Like

I donā€™t know if that would be gambling per se. Youā€™d need to know what the business arrangement between the two of them was.

I was asking a person this morning about this on the back of this article. He said their club had dealt with a Pakistani supplier of slitors.
They were quoted ā‚¬2.50 for a training slitor and ā‚¬4 for a championship one.
And price reductions for bulk orders.

So for the ā‚¬47k this lad handed over they would have received some amount of slitors if they had a legitimate business.
How far would 12,000 slitors go?

Surely Depends whoā€™s pucking them ā€¦

17 Likes

brian-baumgartner-badumtss

1 Like

Well Davy supposedly had 150 new ones every session when he was Waterford manager in 08.

I despise those gambling adds you see on the TV. Always when there is a break in the football. Fuck you Paddy Power, fuck you Crouchy and fuck you Ray Winstone.

20 Likes

Boil my piss. Especially Crouch who must be worth a fortune.

9 Likes

Colm Meaney another with those horrendous Cheltenham ā€œmatey banterā€ ads.

1 Like

Why didnt admit he had a gambling problem, blaming the lavish ex wife is a bit cuntish

I dont think there was anything to invest in

Seems to the culture there of excuses.

We also have people in here denying what the victim was saying.

Straight off to coach more impressionable young adults after pleading guilty and now the victim getting disowned locally. Horrible to see.

Iā€™m not normally a Reddit fan but the comments in this thread are spot on.

2 Likes