More Rugby Shame

The soccer lads might fix a few matches for tax free cash.

4 Likes

Is that tax system not the same one availed by those playing football professionally in the League of Ireland?

1 Like

Few enough of those lads make enough to pay tax

Rugby players buying pubs and property all around town on the back of very generous tax breaks is a hard one to justify.

3 Likes

There is a tax scheme for artists I suppose why wouldn’t sports get support

It’s the uncapped nature of it (I think it’s uncapped) - percentage of income that’s hard to justify.

Is that available for podcasters cc @myboyblue

I’d say if there was a podcasting exemption ól tubs and the rte radio crew would find a way to use it

1 Like

I thought the tax was only returned if they finished a 10 year career in Ireland? It’s why the likes of Zebo came home at all, playing last couple of years meant he’d make the 10 years here & get all previously paid tax back on retirement?

Uncapped but limited to your wages. You can’t claim on sponsorship payments… If you earned 300k a year for 10 years it would be worth 1.2m to you… There isn’t a dozen fellas have earned 3m off the IRFU I’d say since the game went pro. Its probably way more material for a fella bumping along the road on 100k a year knowing you will be able to clear the mortage out of it

1 Like

No you must be living in the EU now just

1 Like

You can claim from your best ten of the last fifteen years, as long as you retire in Ireland

1 Like

As above that’s changed now. But you can only reclaim tax you paid here so makes sense to come back if you can earn more than you would have in some of the best other years if you know what I mean

Why if it’s anywhere in the EU?

You just have to live in the EU when you retire. The tax relief is on money earned in Ireland.

1 Like

It’s very easy to justify

I don’t think anybody would object to sports people getting support. It’s the rugby players many of us take issue with.

18 Likes

That’s the problem alright. A short career but additional income in the short term encourages property investment. Our whole financial and tax system is setup to incentivise and encourage investment in property. And it’s having the expected outcome.

3 Likes

The Irish being obsessed about ownership and copying everything they do in America isn’t rugby’s fault.

It’s a small country that struggles to sustain professional sports. I’d have no issue with Government having incentives to help people earn a living in this country. Similar to artists, writers etc. They are niche industries but very important to who we are.

2 Likes

Whats the excuse for horse racing?

Some podcasters fluffed the pension fund while playing thanks to generous Club supports.