More shame for the travelling community

Watching my Big Fat Gypsy Wedding here. Rathkeale Co.Limerick is being featured . Manns Hotel looks a great spot

Davy Mann the owner and proprietor is a local Ballysteen man he makes an absolute mint off of them . A gas character is Davy charges between 5&10k before they step in the door . Pits them in a shed like dance hall at the back of the hotel and rolls in a pallet of Budweiser(cans) which costs them another 5k and let’s them at it.

Was a girl’s hen party. Didn’t seem to be anyone else at the disco. Rathkeale is Mecca for travellers yeah?

Rathkeale is their spiritual home. It’s a big thing for travellers to be able to trace their routes back to Rathkeale, and most come back their to be married at Christmas. There was something like 20 weddings there in 2 weeks last Christmas.

Big business people it seems. Land rovers, range rovers, porsches etc parked outside the church. How do they get that kind of cash? Presume it’s the ones that have done well abroad come back and show off to the rest?

Used ye lads be chasing the traveller girls at the teenage discos back in the day?

Traveller women are a great ride.

[quote=“KIB man, post: 568388”]

Big business people it seems. Land rovers, range rovers, porsches etc parked outside the church. How do they get that kind of cash? Presume it’s the ones that have done well abroad come back and show off to the rest?

Used ye lads be chasing the traveller girls at the teenage discos back in the day?[/quote]

Their main business ventures are distribution of products in powdered form . All the vehicles that come back at Christmas are rental. I don’t know any las who would have went near one of them , the look great but the stench up close is putrid.

A lot of the cars are hired purely to show off while at home. There’s a crowd in Germany that hire to them.

Rocko would have been proud of me this week. Driving home from work, and a car was stopped on road. Traveller had ran out of petrol on his way home from the Borris fair (more of that further on). It was pissing rain so I told yer man to get in and I brought him to the next town to get petrol (which he paid for). Grand aul sort. Talked about hurling and work and stuff. Nothing I wouldnt expect anyway.

As for the Borris fair, I dont know why, but it seems as if its only a problem when travellers congregate in large groups. I’d have met my fair share of them over the years from bits and pieces and quite a few play hurling for the likes of New ross, Bunclody, Shamrocks and they’d be harmless lads in the main, no different than anyone else. Was even at a thing on Saturday night where there was a load of them there drinking away, not a bother with anything. But the shite they leave behind in Borris, and other places when they have things like this is ridiculous. Costing Carlow Co Council €25k to clean up after a 2 day festival. crazy stuff. and its the same every year, they come from all places and destroy the town. A few years back there were a couple of pubs destroyed with them fighting with each other.

http://cdn.independent.ie/multimedia/dynamic/01091/Council-workers_1091672t.jpg

As for that article, it seems a bit weird that they go so mad over the joke the restaurant tweeted. Travellers, are known for collecting tin and copper. Sure the name tinker comes fromt he Irish of Tin Ceiri which is tin collecter. I didnt read that joke as being meant they were going out to steal. I know of plenty of scrap metal places that are run by travellers. Its a big business for a lot of them who had done it for generations. If people want ot make it out like it had a connection to stealing, then thats their outlook.

basically, travellers can be alright sorts, but I can completely understand the negative reactions and fears some have.

Utter horseshit

really? I always thought that tinker derived from some sort of tin collector or tin mender or something. maybe you could enlighten me so where the utter horseshit is

I thought the same.

A tinker being someone who worked with tin.
Like a painter is someone who works with paint?

:lol:

It’s political correctness gone mad.

You’re correct that the word “tinker” comes from “tin” or “tin smith”. It has zero to do with Irish though. The older term for travellers in Irish would be “an lucht siúil” - those who walk/go by foot. the modern Irish words “tincéir” and “tincéar” are merely loan words from English. The Irish for “tin” is “stáin”

I’m almost certain it does come from some one that worked tin ?

you can’t say that

There isn’t much inaccuracy in what he writes, but there’s a bit too much conservative style moralising about it. The attitudes towards travellers are in the context of high rates of traveller crime, the high rates of traveller crime are in the context of intense bigotry towards them and consequently, extreme alienation from the ‘settled’ community. What causes it is a more interesting question than who’s fault it is.

“You junkies junkies bastard ya”

I must say the traveller lad on Saturday night took the microphone off the DJ and gave a mean rendition of Maniac 2000.

Are you going to elaborate on your new man friend? Or keep teasing us with little snippets ? Can we expect ‘Traveller A’ to take part in some zaney whacky Runt and RTT type adventures ?