More shame for the travelling community

…ye but its unfair to expect them to give up aspects of their culture just to conform with the rest of society

Calls for judge to resign over ‘Neanderthal’ comment on Travellers

[font=Georgia][size=4]THERE HAVE BEEN calls for a District Court judge to resign after he described Travellers as being “Neanderthal men… abiding by the laws of the jungle”.[/size][/font][font=Georgia][size=4]
Mr Justice Seamus Hughes, a former Fianna Fáil TD, is reported as criticising a defendant who appeared before Athlone District Court, saying:[/size][/font]
[indent][font=inherit][size=4]
Nobody has indicated it to me, but I suspect he comes from a certain ethnic background that would give him even more form given the type of behaviour in which some of them engage… As I’ve described it before, they are like Neanderthal men living in the long grass, abiding by the laws of the jungle.[/size][/font]
[/indent][font=Georgia][size=4]
Pavee Point, an advocacy group for Travellers, said that it would be difficult for Travellers to believe that they could get a fair trial under Judge Hughes following the comments.[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=4]
“Judge Hughes should resign with immediate effect as he is bringing the judicial system into disrepute,” Pavee Point said in a statement condemning the comments.[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=4]
“[His comments] reflect a prehistoric mind-set that has no place in modern Irish society. Everyone is entitled to a fair trial irrespective of your ethnic origin or the charges you face”.[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=4]
The group called on the legal profession and the government to speak out about the issue and to identify ways to ensure that it does not happen again.[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=4]
Judge Seamus Hughes previously made the the news in July 2011 when he said that recipients of social welfare should be given food vouchers to stop them from spending money on drink and drugs.[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=4]
The judge also previously sentenced a man to climb Croagh Patrick for verbally assaulting a garda.[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=4]
Originally from Mayo, Seamus Hughes served as a Fianna Fáil TD from 1992 to 1997.[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=4]
[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=4]
http://www.thejournal.ie/judge-travellers-comments-law-of-the-jungle-592523-Sep2012/[/size][/font]

fair play to them for hitting that cunt

One of the mcginleys from connaughton rd has been charged with killing eugene gillespie in sligo last week

Raids going on a traveller camp on the N32,

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1004/pipe-bomb-dublin-searches.html

Goodbye to the tent and the old caravan. To the tinker, the gipsy, the travelling man. Farewell to the life of the rover.

Sure all they’ve ever done is try and sell ya a few old jam jars…
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/traveller-in-phil-hogan-row-was-convicted-of-stealing-cash-3249451.html

[font=Verdana][size=3]
THE Traveller at the centre of the Phil Hogan letter row appeared in court in recent weeks on theft charges.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Patrick Carthy (32) was given 12 months’ probation for taking cash from a garden centre on the Callan Road in Kilkenny.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
He was also fined earlier this year for trespassing on a property and driving an animal-drawn vehicle while under the influence of alcohol.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
And court records show at least two further convictions in the last seven years.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Mr Carthy has been at the centre of a storm of controversy after it emerged the Environment Minister wrote to constituents just outside Kilkenny city to say that the Carthy family “will not be allocated the house in your area”.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
In the letter, he told locals in Bonnettstown he was “glad to be of assistance in this matter”.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
But Kilkenny County Council subsequently ignored Mr Hogan’s pleas and placed the family in the house.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
When the letter became public last week, Mr Hogan denied he had been racist or abused his power.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Mr Hogan referred to “anti-social behaviour”, stretching back to the 1990s. “I brought that information to the attention of the local authority who were ultimately responsible for making the decision”.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Mr Carthy vehemently rejected Mr Hogan’s allegations, saying: “There was never any trouble out in Bonnettstown with my family. There was never any hassle with us.”[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
However, just over two weeks ago district court judge Eamon O’Brien ordered Mr Carthy to enter a 12-month probation bond after he admitted stealing a float from a garden centre.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
The court heard that on May 19, 2011, the defendant stole €87.20 from a cash register float which was recovered at the scene.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Trespassing[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Mr Carthy had two other convictions this year alone.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
On July 2 he was fined €300 for trespassing at a premises at Freshford, Co Kilkenny.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
And in March he was fined €500 for driving an animal drawn vehicle while under the influence of alcohol in Lavinstown, also in Co Kilkenny.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Previously, he was convicted of cruelty to an animal in 2007 and fined €450 and he had a prior conviction for driving a horse and trap while drunk in 2005, for which he was also fined €500.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
On that occasion he admitted that he led the gardai on a night-time chase during which he crashed into a wall injuring the pony.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
At the hearing, defence solicitor John Harte said Mr Carthy hadn’t intended to injure the animal.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Mr Carthy’s solicitor said his client had consumed about eight pints before leaving the pub on the sulky and that he had sped up when the gardai had approached so as not to hold them up.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
He said the alcohol had clouded his client’s judgment.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
At the trial, Mr Harte mentioned that Mr Carthy had previous road-traffic convictions and had been disqualified from driving, which was why he was using the sulky for transport.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
Last night, Mr Carthy continued to claim that he hadn’t been in trouble with the law even after been presented with evidence that he was the man listed in the court records.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
He said: “I have no convictions. Even if I had convictions, what has it got to do with Phil Hogan? What has it got to do with where I’m living now at the minute?”[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
When told the date of birth on his birth certificate matched the one listed in the court records, he said: “I have no convictions. I don’t know whose date of birth you got but you didn’t get mine.”[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
He added: “What I’ve done or haven’t done and what I give the papers or what I give the telly, that’s it. I want an end to this now. I just want to be left alone, left in peace.”[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=3]
He ended the conversation saying: “I’m not admitting to anything. This is the end of the road. Good luck.”[/size][/font]
[font=Georgia][size=3][i]

• Cormac McQuinn and Tom Brady[/i][/size][/font]

I understand that Phil Hogan was booed during the Kilkenny team homecoming

I think that’s mainly due to the fact he’s an idiot though.

What fucking pub is serving these lads?

No idea. Any bar person serving enough liquor to a person causing them to crash their pony into a wall needs to have a look at themselves.

I heard the pony was locked, it was out back swilling flagons of strongbow.

Well you can’t legislate for gattin’ ponies.

FFS. :rolleyes:

A program on Rathkeale starting on TV3 now.

Featuring Friend of The Forum - Davy Mann.

A load of shit so far, typical TV3 effort.
The “traveller” being interviewed is obviously an actor.

The presenter of this show is making an awful attempt to be like Donal McIntyre, it’s cringeworthy.

This is absolutely atrocious

The shite on RTE2 is atrocious.

Carryharry - how do you make love to a tipp woman?

(Runt will no the answer to this one too.)