More Things That Are Wrong, just plain wrong

Not sure that could happen legally.

I do know that I placed a deposit on a House 3 years ago, had mortgage sorted and was ready to sign paperwork.
The Auctioneer suddenly became impossible to contact for a fortnight & when he did answer calls he said the Seller was having 2nd thoughts.

After a month of dicking around we eventually pulled the plug on the whole thing but it was another month of bollixing about trying to get our money back.

1 Like

Are the contracts only signed once the buyer has secured money i.e. drawn down on his mortgage from the bank? I donā€™t know how this fella nearly got caught so but he was saying he was close to ruined, almost lost a pile of money on account of not having his paperwork in order on time.

The idea of a deposit on something though is that the buyer canā€™t willy nilly change their mind and back out with no repurcussions, at the expense of time lost for the seller. Surely there must be something lost if i agree a deal on a house and tell the seller to hold on while i get funding and paperwork done, here is my deposit, and a month later change my mind and expect the deposit back?

Your solr wont let you sign the contracts unless they know you have the means to pay for the house. The contracts are generally signed v close to closing the sale as a result

1 Like

There isnā€™t really. Happens all the time that you go sale agreed and your Solr could raise 20 reasons not to go ahead so you have to be able to withdraw with no loss.

Deposit is fully refundable.

Iā€™ll find you a house in Kilmallock with fantastic historic views. Your kids will be guaranteed to win loads of medals as well.

1 Like

You can go sale agreed but there is nothing stopping another higher bidder coming in. It used to be called ā€œGazumpingā€ during Celtic Tiger Episode 1

Buying or selling a house is never straight forward there is always a hiccup along the way usually the banks wanting more information.

When we both our house this time last year, we went sale agreed at the end of january but didnt sign till end of march.

Deposit means absolutely fuck all other than that you are serious about it. Different if you buy at auction which may be what your man was on about

We went sale agreed at the start of August 2016 but didnā€™t get the keys until the start of January 2017.

The sellerā€™s solicitor was the problem.

Not all Ireland though :slight_smile:

Sorry, had to be done

1 Like

Youā€™ve not met my kids.

Thatā€™s quick. We went sale agreed at start of Feb and didnā€™t get keys until July. Like @farmerinthecity, the sellers solicitor was the problem. Suited us as we were renovating and meant we had time to line builders up as soon as we got keys but if you were waiting that long for every sale youā€™d be at your wits end.

I always assumed the process was slow so that solicitors could justify their fees and no mark bank processors could justify their terrible life by being awkward and asking for more information.

In our case the solicitor basically refused to look at the file until she had greater priorities (longer outstanding cases) fully cleared. Her multi tasking was horrific.

We put pressure on the estate agent, the seller through the estate agent to get her moving but none of it worked.

We were renting at the time and had to withdraw our notice a few times when it didnā€™t happen. In fairness to the big vulture fund they were ok with that. That was the worst part really.

1 Like

:grin:

Very sad.

1 Like

buying and selling a property can be a bit of a process and takes time, even if you have cash.
i offer to buy your house for 200k and have cash, you accept and i pay a deposit and engage a solicitor to start the process of checks on the property. one of us may set a date to close but unless you specify otherwise thats only a guidline.
we are gone sale agreed, which actually means nothing to either of us other than a gentlemans agreement that we will complete that deal as agreed. but either of us can walk away at any time and you can decide next week to accept 205 from someone else. that kind of thing drives lads demented.
if my solicitor confirms all is in order which can take 6/10 weeks or that then contracts are signed and then i give yiou the balance thru the EA and ill have your keys within a few days usually

Know the family well. My auld lad and the Dad who committed suicide were great friends.
Very tough couple of years on that family. PJ was way too young to go like that.

Christā€¦