More Things That Are Wrong, just plain wrong

Capes??? :joy:

1 Like

And beards, specifically long beards. Lads itā€™s fucking over. Move on.

Had occasion to be in an Institute of Technology (what a gimmicky name), and I was addled by the number of idiots going around sporting long beards and skinny tracksuits.

Lemmings.

Nonebrities, Bandage.

:open_mouth:

Itā€™s up to 10 now, Iā€™m seething with you.

1 Like

Well documented that having kids is a decision that will change your life and your lifestyle. Apparently not for whoever owns the 911 parked outside the Mercedes garage in Ballsbridge. 2 baby seats squeezed into the back. Appearance is clearly more important in this part of town.

At least itā€™ll probably be clamped shortly

What year? The year is very important in this scenario? Possibly bought during the tiger and stuck with the piece of shit now, or otherwise.

2 Likes

It was a '98. I considered this before posting. Itā€™s a 17 year old Porsche and has probably hit residual value (ā‚¬12k or maybe a bit above?). A 2008 2.0 tdci Mondeo would set them back maybe ā‚¬6k or ā‚¬7k? ā‚¬5k in the back pocket, saving ā‚¬1k+ a year on tax, saving a small fortune on petrolā€¦

No, this is most definitely cunt territory and Iā€™m standing over my decision to add it to to ā€œmore things that are wrong threadā€. Thanks for the challenge pal - good to know there are standards to be upheld.

2 Likes

Youā€™re spot on mate, well reasoned.

When and how did the Great Blandening occur, pal?

Iā€™d pinpoint August 31st, 1997 as its seminal moment.

Go onā€¦

Says the bearded Liverpool olive eating plastic paddy. Christ, I despise you since you moved to Cork.

1 Like

I always despised him.

4 Likes

Even worse, itā€™s a 996.

2 Likes

I begged him not to move to Cork for the sake of our e-friendship but the pigheaded cunt went and did it anyway.

For a woman!:smiley:

On August 31st, 1997, Diana died, and pathetic, mawkish, self centred, vain, public grief became a lifestyle choice for vast swathes of people in the British Isles.

Tony Blair was the perfect, vacuous Prime Minister to express that touchy feely, vacuous, empty feeling of grief. Bono was on hand to sing Candle In The Wind that night. Within a few days the whole thing had become a full blown phenomenon of mawk, in association with Sky News, 24 hours, every hour. The people were tearful, angry and outraged about something, about what, they didnā€™t know, but the one thing they knew was that they had to express it publicly, because it felt right. In Britain people said the spirit of that week was like the war, as people came together, strangers spontaneously embracing in the street. Strangers didnā€™t spontaneously embrace in the street during the war. They got the fook on with things. Dianaā€™s death, on the other hand, was a public grief competition, a bandwagon embodying the values of self, self-pity and vanity which came to dominate the next two decades. Every bland tweet and publicly aceptable ā€œshow of solidarityā€ on Facebook with victims of worthy tragedies that donā€™t involve you in any way is linked back to that moment.

Other events that happened in 1997 summed up the changing mood of the times. Blair and Bertie Ahern were the perfect, value-free politicians of the emerging ā€œmeā€ generation and house prices became inextricably linked with peopleā€™s sense of self.

Endless banalities rushed to fill the gap of celebrity brought about by Dianaā€™s death, because the media needed new celebrities. This brought about reality TV. Reality TV branched into music and the genie, as the great Christina Aguilera did not sing, was out of the bottle.

Then it was a short hop to the INTERNET and social media, where the me, me, me, culture, however worthless and boring oneā€™s (lack of) talents, views, search for conformist individuality or bland expressions of publicly acceptable fake solidarity grief are, has found full expression. That culture of mindlessness had its coming out party on August 31st, 1997.

15 Likes

Outstanding post. Truly outstanding.

The internet finished us off.

Thatā€™s a belter of a post.