Most overrated movie ever

godfather - to borrow a quote from family guy “it insists upon itself” - i found it pretty boring

starwars - watched it as a kid- thought it was good- watched some of it a few years ago-thought it was geeky

[quote=“north county corncrake”]godfather - to borrow a quote from family guy “it insists upon itself” - i found it pretty boring

starwars - watched it as a kid- thought it was good- watched some of it a few years ago-thought it was geeky[/quote]

star wars maybe but then again empire is under rated

in no particular order

brokeback mountain: giant who cares
the godfather: a mouthful of tissue
slightly going off track, hopkins as lecter. Brian cox is infinitely more menacing as lecter in manhunter
no country for old men was good but nowhere near as great as expected

[quote=“artfoley”]star wars maybe but then again empire is under rated

in no particular order

brokeback mountain: giant who cares
the godfather: a mouthful of tissue
slightly going off track, hopkins as lecter. Brian cox is infinitely more menacing as lecter in manhunter
no country for old men was good but nowhere near as great as expected[/quote]

i enjoyed no country - thought there will be blood was terrible- an hour and a half of day lewis shouting at you

I enjoyed no country but would’nt have it anywhere near my top 100 films

Fight Club
Pulp Fiction

[quote=“sid waddell”]Fight Club
Pulp Fiction[/quote]

liked fight club but agree with pulp fiction-

croppy that posts here was very friendly with this fat geek called JD when that movie came out- he loved tarrantino & went to see that movie 3 times in the first week- he sais he enjoyed it most the 2nd time as the crowd was more up for it the 2nd time:confused:

There Will Be Blood was much better then No Country For Old Men. The abrupt ending of the latter pisses me off no end.

Most overrated - Star Wars films, LOTR films, The Gladiator.

agree with LOTR - a souped up fairytale

A mate of mine is a psychologist and kept going on and on about how great Fight Club was and how it fucked with your mind - that’s what probably turned me off it more than anything. Don’t like when people go on and on about how great things are. Definitely think it was far too clever for it’s own good if that makes sense. Think most of the “big” movies over the last 15 years haven’t been up to much - 60’s, 70’s particularly and 80’s was the golden age of cinema for me.

A bit like your life…

Fight Club’s cool. LOTR is bollocks. Just fucking boring.
Didn’t really like Pulp Fiction. Tarantino could have released a shit hanging from a stick (to borrow from Jorge Valdano) after Reservoir Dogs and it would have still been hailed as a cult classic.

Our society is desperate for Great Things, bumping up average enough films/books/movies that are merely quite good and giving them the mantle of instant classics.

Agree on Lord of the Rings. Saw the first one, found it distinctly average so didn’t bother watch the other two.

The Usual Suspects was a film that I always found too smarmy for its own good and very ordinary. I can’t stand Kevin Spacey as an actor anyway.

The Godfather 1 and 2 are brilliant I think, particularly 1. Fight Club is decent but never a classic. Don’t like any films that M Night Shyamalan does - all poor.

The English Patient.

Boring overlong, over-rated tripe. Proof that Hollywood will swallow any period-piece costume drama the Brits will throw at them.

I rest my case.

Fully agreed on the English Patient.

Thought Gladiator was rank.

Of the others mentioned here thought There Will be Blood was superb.

[quote=“therock67”]Fully agreed on the English Patient.

Thought Gladiator was rank.

Of the others mentioned here thought There Will be Blood was superb.[/quote]

thought gladiator was superb myself…

only saw resevoir dogs for the first time about 18 months ago and i was very disappointed with it…was expecting a masterpiece…

Liked both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

Michael Collins was a load of shite. A very lazy movie more interested in Hollywood than trying to tell the story of one of the most key members of Irish history.

2 Likes

Christ yeah The English Patient is complete rubbish. Its so bad and forgettable that it doesn’t even spring to mind.

more of a bad movie than an overrated one

The English Patient swept the Oscars and was shite, that would make it over rated imo.

Same goes for Shakepeare in Love, beat Saving Private Ryan to the best Oscar, nuff said. Utter shite.

Citizen Kane I just don’t get I’m afraid.