Most overrated movie ever

Like Kane and Godfather meself.

Apocalypse Now. Not even close to being all that.

I thought American Gangster was very over rated. Was getting great reviews, but was no better than average imo.

1 Like

its a good film but not a great film…thought it was about 20 minutes too long to be honest…

Thought Citizen Kane was superb.

Thought Apocalypse Now was also.

Great shouts for Apocylapse Now and American Gangster. Both fairly shite.

Heat - never liked that myself.

Overly long, overly hyped.

1 Like

Another thread has just reminded me about Life of Brian. I just dont get it. Maybe if I was 20 years older I might, but how it gets ‘best comedy ever’ in all those polls defies belief.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Heat - never liked that myself.

Overly long, overly hyped.[/quote]

I’ve had many a discussion with Ball about this film. He has it down as one of the greats. I think its a good movie alright(it has 3 of the best actors ever in it imo) but I wouldnt rank it that highly.

I’ve never seen any of the LOTR films. In college at the time, and as some alluded to here, I couldnt stand everyone telling me how brilliant it was and how I had to go see it. Put me right off it, and never saw anything other than trailers for it.

Though not a bad film, I would find the Bourne Ultimatum (the last one) over-rated, though it had some film critics wetting themselves over it.

Every so often a film comes along (the English Patient, the Piano, etc.) - that has the critics falling over themselves trying to praise it. Usually, with a couple of years hindsight, the critics themselves realise that they overhyped it in the first place.

Life of Brian. You have to put in in the context of when it was made. That was at a time when the church was seen in a different light completely.

I really like the part where they are fighting about the meaning of the sandal.

To me Apocalypse Now is a work of unsurpassed genius. Absolutely superb. Not just the set piece scenes like Willard in Saigon, Do Lung Bridge, Charlie’s Point etc but it’s full of imagery, metaphors, opaque nods to Conrad’s original novel, the attention to detail is staggering. eg. as Williard leaves the compound at the end, he passes a pile of elephant tusks. Random enough you may say until you recall that in the novel Kurtz was an ivory trader. For me it’s the greatest film ever made, with an unsatisfactory ending by Hollywood standards. Superb performances by Sheen, Fishburne, Duvall and all the cameos. In the original novel, Williard/Marlow returns to Kurtz’s widow, surprised Coppola didn’t go down that road.

I found Ridley Scott’s American Gangster very entertaining without the depth of a real classic.

1 Like

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER**”]To me Apocalypse Now is a work of unsurpassed genius. Absolutely superb. Not just the set piece scenes like Willard in Saigon, Do Lung Bridge, Charlie’s Point etc but it’s full of imagery, metaphors, opaque nods to Conrad’s original novel, the attention to detail is staggering. eg. as Williard leaves the compound at the end, he passes a pile of elephant tusks. Random enough you may say until you recall that in the novel Kurtz was an ivory trader. For me it’s the greatest film ever made, with an unsatisfactory ending by Hollywood standards. Superb performances by Sheen, Fishburne, Duvall and all the cameos. In the original novel, Williard/Marlow returns to Kurtz’s widow, surprised Coppola didn’t go down that road.

I found Ridley Scott’s American Gangster very entertaining without the depth of a real classic.[/quote]

I have never seen Apocalypse Now. After this email SS I think I’ll read the book first

napolian dynamite is another crock of shit that i hear people rant and rave about…

Conrad’s Heart of Darkness is a very short novella, you could read the book after the film too. The film veers wildly away from the book’s plot as it is not the sole basis of the film, with Michael Herr (author of the superb book on 'Nam - Dispatches) also working on the screenplay. Coppola also cited Aguirre, the Wrath of God as a major influence, but I’ve never seen that.

I would love to be seeing the film for the first time again. Though I did see ‘Redux’ on its original release in the IFI in 2002, super stuff.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]

Michael Collins was a load of shite. A very lazy movie more interested in Hollywood than trying to tell the story of one of the most key members of Irish history.[/quote]

In total agreement. It was criminal the way that the whole Treaty negotiations were left out of the film, because it was such an important part of the Collins’ story as a whole.

IMO, the film was made about 20 or 30 years too late and with a director that had comparatively little clout in Hollywood. If David Lean or Stanley Kubrick or some other heavyweight director had have made the life story of Collins into a film, then it would have been about an hour longer, better and a classic comparable to Lean’s Lawrence of Arabia.

I’m not an FG’er, BTW!

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER**”]To me Apocalypse Now is a work of unsurpassed genius. Absolutely superb. Not just the set piece scenes like Willard in Saigon, Do Lung Bridge, Charlie’s Point etc but it’s full of imagery, metaphors, opaque nods to Conrad’s original novel, the attention to detail is staggering. eg. as Williard leaves the compound at the end, he passes a pile of elephant tusks. Random enough you may say until you recall that in the novel Kurtz was an ivory trader. For me it’s the greatest film ever made, with an unsatisfactory ending by Hollywood standards. Superb performances by Sheen, Fishburne, Duvall and all the cameos. In the original novel, Williard/Marlow returns to Kurtz’s widow, surprised Coppola didn’t go down that road.

I found Ridley Scott’s American Gangster very entertaining without the depth of a real classic.[/quote]

Right, think I’ll watch it again now - haven’t seen it in about ten years and I was probably too young then.

Nope, I watched Now again recently and I still think its an overblown pile of wank, and I’ve also read Heart of Darkness.

Maybe it just wasnt for me.

Anyway, my next nomination of many more to follow.

Blade Runner.

This thread has now turned into the “Films I don’t like but other people do” thread.

One mans WWE is another mans gay rodeo.