Most underrated movie ever

Not sure how to work out if a movie is underrated or not so maybe just anything that’s not all that mainstream or commonly hailed as a classic.

Fooking love Kes as a film - pretty highly acclaimed but it’s a bit indie so not really all that mainstream. Like most of Ken Loach’s stuff actually. Land and Freedom about the Spanish Civil War is very similar to Wind That Shakes the Barley and equally good.

Good Night and Good Luck was a cracking film in recent years - topic wasn’t that interesting to most people so no surprise it’s not mainstream but well worth a gander if you’ve any interest in politics, particularly the US.

Difficult to judge an under rated film because the criteria is difficult to nail down. Good Night and Good Luck is a really good film, but it was nominated for Oscars, wouldnt that mean its rated?

I’m gonna say Cable Guy, I think its comic genius which has a lot to say about society at the same time.

I’d also like to give a nod to Tin Cup, a film I watch without fail every time it comes on late night tv. Not sure if these two films are the ones you were going for (I really despise Loach, sorry, just dont like his work, WTSTB wasn’t bad I guess, but it wasn’t the difinitive film on Irish history, we’re still waiting for that) so my two shouts are far removed from GN&GL and Loach.

saw Control recently and i thought it was excellent but i haven’t heard too many others on about it…‘Don’t be a menace to south central while drinking your juice in the hood’ is a hidden jewel, probably one of the best movie spoofs of all time…

Fucking hate that film.

Have Control at home but haven’t watched it yet.

MBB, realise that GN&GL was well acclaimed, just I doubt most people have seen it and I think it’s a cracking movie.

Oh and Cable Guy is far better than I thought it would be.

The Field - one of the greatest films ever made with the finest performance from an actor ever (Richard Harris) but fails to get the acclaim it deserves.

King of Comedy - Scorsese directs De Niro in this but few people rate it. I think it is superb.

Catch Me If You Can - Tremendously entertaining.

In the Line of Fire - smashing good guy bad guy yarn.

Arlington Road - terrific thriller.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]
Arlington Road - terrific thriller.[/quote]

Tremendous shout, great twist.

How about this one

Stir of Echoes - Kevin Bacon thriller largely overlooked due to its release date being around the same time as The 6th Sense.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]The Field - one of the greatest films ever made with the finest performance from an actor ever (Richard Harris) but fails to get the acclaim it deserves.

King of Comedy - Scorsese directs De Niro in this but few people rate it. I think it is superb.

Catch Me If You Can - Tremendously entertaining.

In the Line of Fire - smashing good guy bad guy yarn.

Arlington Road - terrific thriller.[/quote]

Haven’t seen King of Comedy or In the Line of Fire (I don’t think) but The Field and Arlington Road are both superb. Catch Me If You Can is alright but not in the same league.

Yeah - I’m not saying it’s the greatest film ever or owt but it’s just a good watch.

Another good watch - Breakdown.

Frequency - Denis Quaid as a firefighter, communicating with his son through time. Far better than I’ve made it sound, wonderful little thriller.

It’s mad the films that can actually be smashing against all odds.

Election - utterly superb little ditty about a teacher in an American high school (Matthew Broderick) doing everything possible so that self proclaimed A student (Reese Witherspoon) doesn’t become school president. It works!

Didnt mind Breakdown, loved Election.

U-turn.

Directed by Oliver Stone and starring Sean Penn and Jennifer Lopez when she cam eon the scene first and was incredibly hot.

Not a huge fan of Stone but loved that film when I saw it first. I then saw another film from a few years previous starring Nicolas Cage and Dennis Hopper (name escapes me) and the plot was nearly identical.

Really liked Control Pukey, saw it in the cinema and have the DVD aswell. Harrowing enough stuff and dark but superbly made I thought.

A film I saw on a limited rerelease which I thought was superb was called Electra Glide In Blue, made back in the 70s about two highway patrol cops. I think it’s still not available on DVD but this was really excellent. The guy who made it never made another film.

This Is England - Saw this a year or so back. Very enjoyable film. Brilliantly shot, full of raw emotion and funny at same time. Well worth a watch.

City of God.

Don’t know if you can call that underrated but man was it a fantastic film.

Secretary - saw it in the Kino in Cork (only arthouse films). Mrs. Locke gets a e-flyer from them and she sends it onto me. Once I read what it was about I wanted to see it. Its good, not great, dark but funny.

Son of the Bride is another one. Think I gave it a shout over a year ago on a thread over on AFRRIP. Argentinian film, very good!

too many to mention but here’s one

After Hours - directed by Martin Scorsese in 1985. Stars Griffin Dunne and Roseanne Arquette. One man’s totally crazy nightmare.

Think that other film was Red Rock West. Plot might have been similar but the main character would have been a lot more sympathetic than in U Turn.
My fave under rated film would be Open Range.
But I love westerns anyway.

[quote=“scraggbaby”]Think that other film was Red Rock West. Plot might have been similar but the main character would have been a lot more sympathetic than in U Turn.
My fave under rated film would be Open Range.
But I love westerns anyway.[/quote]

what did you make of “the assasination of jesse james by the coward robert ford”…i was very impressed with it along with 3.10 to yoma…