Motorways driving

“Ireland’s first coast-to-coast motorway, linking Dublin and Galway, will open before Christmas. The 194km-long M6 motorway opens in the middle of December.”

I’ll nearly have to think about using that road for heading back to Clare for Christmas.

Whats the story with the one to Limerick.
Looks like it’s in progress but it’s still 3 hours to get to the pub from my Fingal palace.

Yours etc,
GSH.

That is fairly impressive.

One thing you can say about the Celtic Tiger - our road infrastructure has improved drastically.

[quote=“Garda Sean Horgan”]“Ireland’s first coast-to-coast motorway, linking Dublin and Galway, will open before Christmas. The 194km-long M6 motorway opens in the middle of December.”

I’ll nearly have to think about using that road for heading back to Clare for Christmas.

Whats the story with the one to Limerick.
Looks like it’s in progress but it’s still 3 hours to get to the pub from my Fingal palace.

Yours etc,
GSH.[/quote]

They encountered a lot of sinkage when crossing a bog on the last stretch between Nenagh and Limerick, so that has held things up but I think that stretch is still on course of early next year.

Mountrath is next to get out of the way :guns:

anybody know if on the m11 are they currently working on the enniscorthy bypass or joining the the arklow/gorey bypass to the rathnew bypass the sooner that is done it will be sweet…

Found this site which may help:

http://www.nra.ie/mapping/

I agree with Farmer. Roads have improved no end. Even the past 5 or 6 years I see a huge difference. The more moterways/overtaking lanes etc the lower our road deaths will be too.

Next thing is to get rid of that toll on the M50 and the eastlink.

Yours etc,
GSH.

Getting the go ahead next year afaik. Had to sign forms for it during the summer there as it will be passing close to the house.

Be more interested in getting that stretch from the Beehive to the Arklow by-pass sorted. A royal pain in the ass.

Yeah, definitley. Always flying it til ya get to there.
The Gorey bypass upgraded to a motorway makes some difference too.

from wat ive heard in the past the beehive stretch aint been done till the enniscorthy bypass gets done for some reason… even though they have all the prelimanary work done on the stretch… i find it funny that the bypasses are upgraded to motorwyas but our main motorway the ole m50 i think the max speed along any of it in 100

Dublin to Portlaoise in around 45 minutes.

As a great man soon to be become second highest poster here would say, ah lovely.

You’ll have to pay nearly 5 bob to use it one way.

8 bobs if your going from G-g-g-g-galway to the Airport

Yeah that’s a pain, 60Km/h in some spots too I think.
It’s about 1 hour 15 or so from door to door for me from Dublin to Enniscorthy (not during rush hour though). The Enniscorthy Bypass could shorten it more then (in 4 or 5 years when it’s done of course)

ya spots of m50 around i think the dundrum exit to pretty much the red cow is 60 some joke… bigger joke when you have people driving at 60 in the inside lane… if your going to drive to the limit pull in people

i made it up in 2 15 from home to Glasnevin with a pit stop in petrol station in ferns on saturday evening . and usually do it in about that

Ive been frequently using the new Waterford bypass since it opened around a Month ago,its improved my quality of life a little in fairness,you can use large tracts of it without paying the toll,people coming from the New Ross direction travelling towards Mooncoin,Carrick,Clonmel,Limerick etc turn off just before the toll bridge,5 minutes will have you at a point that would take 40 minutes going through Waterford,a great job.

The tollbridge is steep though,€3.40 in the jeep so ya wouldnt want to be on it every day but id pay the money gladly if i was in a hurry,its a gift compared with driving through Waterfords 200 sets of traffic lights before you get out the other side.

[quote=“THE LINK WALSH”]Ive been frequently using the new Waterford bypass since it opened around a Month ago,its improved my quality of life a little in fairness,you can use large tracts of it without paying the toll,people coming from the New Ross direction travelling towards Mooncoin,Carrick,Clonmel,Limerick etc turn off just before the toll bridge,5 minutes will have you at a point that would take 40 minutes going through Waterford,a great job.

The tollbridge is steep though,3.40 in the jeep so ya wouldnt want to be on it every day but id pay the money gladly if i was in a hurry,its a gift compared with driving through Waterfords 200 sets of traffic lights before you get out the other side.[/quote]

I went over the McCarthy Bypass Bridge for the novelty factor there a couple of weeks ago. It’s impressive enough although it wouldn’t mean a whole lot to the folks around my parts unless you need to get out to the far side of the town.

While motorways have drastically improved in this country the authorities have forgot to provide any proper “services” for drivers. One has to completely leave the motorway to go into some shitehole bottleneck town to get a cup of coffee or to use a toilet, you may aswell forget about parking the car to take a nap if you’re tired! Travel at night in this country and you can forget about finding any service station open on many of the main roads.

Compare with trips I’ve done from Holyhead to London by car/bus and service areas are plentyful, with lots of car park space for truckers to get a few winks if needs be in their cabs. The service station area itself is equipped with spotlessly clean toilets and proper cafe facilities and seats 24 hours a day. I was amazed at my first stop in ever in one of these service yards as I was expecting an Urlingford job, far from it in Keele services at 3am in the morning.

[quote=“BenShermin”]While motorways have drastically improved in this country the authorities have forgot to provide any proper “services” for drivers. One has to completely leave the motorway to go into some shitehole bottleneck town to get a cup of coffee or to use a toilet, you may aswell forget about parking the car to take a nap if you’re tired! Travel at night in this country and you can forget about finding any service station open on many of the main roads.

Compare with trips I’ve done from Holyhead to London by car/bus and service areas are plentyful, with lots of car park space for truckers to get a few winks if needs be in their cabs. The service station area itself is equipped with spotlessly clean toilets and proper cafe facilities and seats 24 hours a day. I was amazed at my first stop in ever in one of these service yards as I was expecting an Urlingford job, far from it in Keele services at 3am in the morning.[/quote]

Fuck off you limey bastard

:rolleyes:

I think Ben has a point on services myself and here follows my own little anecdote. :pint:

I had an early morning flight from Dublin Airport a few years back and my auld lad was driving me up from Wexford, as he’s a sound skin. We left at about 5.30am and it dawned on us after a while that we were getting low on petrol but there were no service stations opened for most of the route because of the early morning start. As a result, I was fearful that I’d miss my flight because of a lack of petrol induced breakdown and it made me sad.

[quote=“Bandage”]I think Ben has a point on services myself and here follows my own little anecdote. :pint:

I had an early morning flight from Dublin Airport a few years back and my auld lad was driving me up from Wexford, as he’s a sound skin. We left at about 5.30am and it dawned on us after a while that we were getting low on petrol but there were no service stations opened for most of the route because of the early morning start. As a result, I was fearful that I’d miss my flight because of a lack of petrol induced breakdown and it made me sad.[/quote]
:rolleyes: Pack a fooking petrol container in the back for motorway driving, one that is full with petrol should suffice.