Moving Abroad

^^^^

:smiley:

Oh dear. You’re having an absolute shocker here.

I’ve a few questions for @Raymond Crotty if he’d be so kind to give his opinion. Ray, i know you moved to Cambodia a few months ago and i assume you are still there. It should have given you enough time and experience to form a good opinion.

• How do you find life out there? Could you live there permanently? Is it too hot? How are the people, how are the women?
  • What sort of money would you be looking at for rent and where is a good place to live within the country? I understand you like Siem Reap?
  • What is the internet like there? Is it third world?
  • Tax. What sort of tax would you pay or is it lax i.e. could you get away with not paying?
  • Are there any disease to worry about and is it like India and that where you can’t drink water from the taps?

Would be interested in your thoughts on some or all of that. Thanks mate.

Has anyone lived in Vietnam for a period, i understand it is more advanced than Cambodia?

Vietnam is lovely Tess Tickle, bar the beggars. Good fun, good weather, nice people, cheap etc.

Have you lived there? What is internet like, presume you would need to be in the city to get it reasonable?

Haven’t lived there but I live nearby, know plenty of people from there and that have lived there, they have very little bad to say about it.

I will say the internet is almost certainly shit, and way off the likes of Singapore, Japan and Korea. I’d imagine its comparable to the shite you get in Ireland.

[QUOTE=“Turenne, post: 1123910, member: 232”]Haven’t lived there but I live nearby, know plenty of people from there and that have lived there, they have very little bad to say about it.

I will say the internet is almost certainly shit, and way off the likes of Singapore, Japan and Korea. I’d imagine its comparable to the shite you get in Ireland.[/QUOTE]

The shite you get in Ireland is fine, i have no issues with internet here.

[QUOTE=“Turenne, post: 1123910, member: 232”]Haven’t lived there but I live nearby, know plenty of people from there and that have lived there, they have very little bad to say about it.

I will say the internet is almost certainly shit, and way off the likes of Singapore, Japan and Korea. I’d imagine its comparable to the shite you get in Ireland.[/QUOTE]
100mbs in small rural villages, oh the humanity of it all. How do we manage to survive.

Don’t mind him. He’s your typical, Ireland hating Cork man.

oh turennes a traitor
he wears a traitors hat

He might be the first Cork hating Corkman I’ve ever encountered to boot.

@Tess Tickle coming across as a bit of a cunt here asking can he avoid paying tax in one of the world’s poorest countries.

I believe it’s @Tess Tickle assuming the role of the miserable cunt in this instance.

Apologies to @Turenne - post edited

I’m going out there to do an investigation into their tax system you cunt so don’t be casting aspersions on my character.

I know a lot of online poker players used to head out to that part of the world to live, so the internet can’t be too shit.

You do yeah

[QUOTE=“Tess Tickle, post: 1123898, member: 2269”]I’ve a few questions for @Raymond Crotty if he’d be so kind to give his opinion. Ray, i know you moved to Cambodia a few months ago and i assume you are still there. It should have given you enough time and experience to form a good opinion.

• How do you find life out there? Could you live there permanently? Is it too hot? How are the people, how are the women?
  • What sort of money would you be looking at for rent and where is a good place to live within the country? I understand you like Siem Reap?
  • What is the internet like there? Is it third world?
  • Tax. What sort of tax would you pay or is it lax i.e. could you get away with not paying?
  • Are there any disease to worry about and is it like India and that where you can’t drink water from the taps?

Would be interested in your thoughts on some or all of that. Thanks mate.[/QUOTE]
Apologies for delay in responding Tess. I’be just returned to Ireland for a couple of months to do some work heCambodia.
I very much enjoy living in Cambodia. Siem Reap is where I am based. It’s about same size as Belfast with much nicer feel to it than Phenomena Penh. City is expanding rapidly with tourism numbers increasing. Huge wealth inequality with emmigration rates to more prosperous Thailand very high. Rent rates vary as does quality. Mine is basic but only $90 a month. Wages depend upon field of work but easy enough to pick up work. Tax is miniscule. Internet is freely availiable in central town. I have picked up couple of bugs but nothing serious as yet. Getting good health insurance is probably wise though as health system is very poor.

[QUOTE=“Raymond Crotty, post: 1126089, member: 25”]Apologies for delay in responding Tess. I’be just returned to Ireland for a couple of months to do some work heCambodia.
I very much enjoy living in Cambodia. Siem Reap is where I am based. It’s about same size as Belfast with much nicer feel to it than Phenomena Penh. City is expanding rapidly with tourism numbers increasing. Huge wealth inequality with emmigration rates to more prosperous Thailand very high. Rent rates vary as does quality. Mine is basic but only $90 a month. Wages depend upon field of work but easy enough to pick up work. Tax is miniscule. Internet is freely availiable in central town. I have picked up couple of bugs but nothing serious as yet. Getting good health insurance is probably wise though as health system is very poor.[/QUOTE]

Cheers Ray. Have you encountered many other Western expats based out there? Had you any issues with Visas? Seems in Thailand you can only get very short term visas, 60 days at max then you need to leave and re-apply again.