Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

Yeah Mellerick is a defender. Belongs in the full back line but like Joyce, he should have been given a chance at centre back during the league. Very smart hurler and a hard worker but just not cut out for midfield.

Horgan and Fitzgibbon are almost immune to being taken off when theyre playing bad. Hoggie I can understand from a sentimental point of view but sentiment won’t get you wins. He’s also going off the boil with his free taking.

Coleman to midfield or 11 yeah, again should have been tried out in the league but wasnt.

Not sure what the story is behind the scenes but someone or plural is causing a mess. Granted if you dont have the men you dont have the men but the recent Cork minor and u20 teams play a million miles closer to the current Limerick team than what their senior peers do. Something massively wrong there. Lads like Joyce and Barrett are nearly standout performers for Cork week in week out as such a young age because they clearly have the proper approach still in them but unless something is changed they’ll lose that raw edge they had underage.

2 Likes

Cork could sell free takers they have so many of them. Sign of the problems tbh, they have too many lovely snappy hurlers and no brute freaks like Hayes, O Donoghue and Hegarty

That’s the thing looking at the stick passing, they don’t have lovely snappy hurlers. They have fast hurlers.

Hegarty may be a giant, but his first touch snd striking is elite.

5 Likes

Fair point, Cork’s first touch looks way off what it should be.

Coleman is a brilliant out and out hurler, theres a few more as well but there’s a lot of lads there trading more on pace I think. Kingston’s striking and finishing is class, Joyce is absolutely brilliant as well.

Watching the Waterford v Tipp on TSG last night. Even the Tipp young lads seem more physically developed than Cork. Waterford have big powerful hurlers too. They’ll hive Cork an almighty pasting as well

1 Like

I think any teams touch would be bad if they played the way Cork play

1 Like

Good coaching and hours upon hours of work put in has gotten those three players to the level they’re at today.

Hayes is probably the most natural of them but if you’d seen the other two coming up through the ranks, or at club level, you wouldn’t have picked them out as current leading lights of the game. They had certain key attributes back then alright, but their hurling was a mile off.

3 Likes

That’s true but sometimes I can see the original loopy stick pass costing the recipient momentum though so the recipient goes back rather than drive in a 50/50 ball.

Seems the whole thing is to avoid 50/50 situations.

I’m wondering is it some kind of take on the Eamon O’Shea Tipp teams, but they threw it around in the final third

Yeah you would wonder what the story is conditioning wise. I don’t think anyone expects Tim O Mahony and Darragh Fitzgibbon to look like Kyle Hayes and Will O Donoghue bulk wise but the two of them look skin and bones in comparison.

Canada didn’t face New Zealand and Jonah Lomu in the 1995 World Cup. Canada were in the same pool as South Africa and Australia and eliminated at the pool stage.

Not enough robots in that Cork team for the modern bish, bash, bosh game.

No point in them making runs when the plan is to play it short anyway.

Regarding Connolly, he is lazy defensively, not offensively.

Kingston and Lehane.

Obviously Kinnerk is doing an outstanding job with Limerick but the S&C is just unbelievable. Everyone of them can run like a middle distance athlete and the power to win their own ball. Basically any game plan will work when you have that like Kilkenny back in the day. Must be serious knowledge on the S&C side to ensure the balance between gaining weight while also improving the running side

We’ve had seven cruciate injuries in recent seasons though.

2 Likes

Also a fair point. Both Caseys, English who else?

Finn in 2016 I think, before Kielys time. Richie McCarthy too

I see I misremembered kiely’s quote from yesterday, third in seven months, not seven total. Barry Murphy and Brian O’Grady are the other two. Can’t recall if Dowling’s injury was also cruciate, the main problem was cartilage I think. I still think that’s a high enough rate of cruciate injuries over a few seasons.

Paul Browne I think.

The Dow didnt do the cruciate but would have been better off if he did.