Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

Are Wexford in that 7?

Different barometers I suppose. The only success for 3 counties in hurling at any grade is the All Ireland.

For Wexford, winning their first Leinster championship since 2004 meant a lot. Davy does deserve respect for that in fairness.

Davy Fitzgerald is a fraud.

7 Likes

He has been a success at pretty much everything he’s turned his hand to in life.

1 Like

Wexford dethroned Clare as All Ireland champions under Liam Dunne, knocked Waterford out of the Championship as well in 2014 and beat Cork for first time in 60 years in 2016.

During Davy’s 5 years, Wexford lost all 5 knock out matches against Munster opposition.

Davy also failed to register a championship win from four attempts against Galway.

3 Likes

Davy made Wexford genuine all ireland contenders imho. No one rated Wexford under Dunne. Thats my recollection anyway.

That’s true and it’s also true to say he is the most overrated IC hurling manager in my lifetime.
His and Derek’s tactics have a ceiling. A league, provincial and ai semi final.

If they were honest about that I’d respect them but it’s always spin or someone else’s fault when your team a man up and 4 points up don’t score a point from play for the next half hour in an all Ireland semi final.

1 Like

Look at Tony Kelly. Along with Tj the best hurler in game. First year under Davy when he still playing on his own instinct - hurler of year.
Slowly but surely that was coached out of him. It’s only past 2 years he’s rediscovered that 2013 form.

Genuine All Ireland contenders? In 5 seasons in Wexford, Davy over the course of 9 games failed to register a single win against Galway and Munster opposition.

The 2 wins 1 draw and 2 losses from 5 against a Kilkenny side at their lowest ebb since the late 1980’s is getting a right spin to validate Davy’s tenure as a success.

1 Like

This is just specious reasoning. Wexford and Waterford came very close to all Ireland’s with the tactics they used and it was more so the players that they lacked. Would either team have gotten closer with different tactics? No. So it wasn’t the tactics that held them back.

Lads criticising McGrath “for playing sweepers” and lauding Cahill for playing five in a line in front of tadgh de burca are hilarious.

3 Likes

I didn’t see either of them getting close to an All-Ireland. Waterford made a final they never looked like winning. Well done Derek. Cahill over that bunch without Limerick on scene I believe would have done better than Derek.

No, he has not. Far from it.

I do not judge people on what they have but on what they are. Even so, Davy Fitzgerald is a bluff. I am told he is actually very lazy. Spoiled out by the mother as a young lad. He was working in a petrol station, I am told, when Clare won in 1995. Nothing wrong with that job but not in line with your claim. And I am told DF was deeply uncomfortable with lads such as Darach Honan, Conor McGrath and Shane O’Donnell because of their academic capabilities. Because DF was a dunce. DF’s attitude to exams? ‘Sure, won’t you do great out of being a hurler, so you will.’ There are plenty of parents whose son went to LIT and listened to that shite who would give you Davy Fitz’s guts for garters.

More to the point, he is a de facto crook, same as his father. A bare bit of Clare GAA carry on with money came out last year in The Sunday Times and the Sunday Independent. Did Pat Fitzgerald sue them?

But DF is cute, sure enough, in a certain tabloid fashion. Involving Bernard Dunne with Clare and all that shite. You appear to feel about cuteness as Danniella Westbrook did about cocaine.

Got lucky with the fittest family craic. Now charges GAA clubs 15k a pop to come in and do ‘your club’s fittest family’ fundraiser. Previously had made a balls of various pub businesses and property investments.

There is plenty more I could say. But I will save Rocko the bother.

17 Likes

He’s an ape. Ruined a fine Clare team and without Kinnerk he achieved little in the game. Managed to alienate himself from kinnerk too.

3 Likes

There was a famous incident with a player in 2014 who was working for a big multinational in Dublin but was utterly committed and diligent to his training and to Clare hurling.

He was involved in a multi million euro IT rollout and needed to spend a few weeks in Germany as boots on the ground for the go live. It was going to be in January and as the player saw it, it was as good a time for it to fall, he could do his strength work before and after work and fly home at the weekend to train.

When he brought it up with Davy he was told that he needed to make a choice between his career and his I/C hurling career. The player was utterly bemused but told Davy he had no choice but to go as he was on a pathway within the company and needed the experience of the go live and the company had been very accommodating of his I/C schedule and he needed to reciprocate too.

The following night at training Davy told him he could set him up with a job in a factory in Shannon which would make his life easier and allow more time for hurling, again the player was utterly bemused at his lack of understanding of what goes on in the real world and that Davy thinking that a menial job on a factory floor would be a good move for him. His offer was firmly but politely rebuked. The player went from an automatic starter to sub over night.

31 Likes

Yes. Have heard plenty of those stories.

DF is a deeply insecure gobshite. So anyone who does not fluff him ends up, sooner rather than later, wrong side.

1 Like

Shocking.

Oohft clamping

That young fella had no value in claps on the back and the odd free pint bought for him.

Paul Kinnerk, plus talented players, won that All Ireland for Clare. Davy Fitzgerald got lucky as a sidenote.

8 Likes

The same man scored a very important point before, didn’t he?

5 Likes