Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

Davy would have spies going into pubs/clubs around Limerick and Clare to catch lads (students) drinkingā€¦ :smiley:

He did. He is still with the company too, seconded overseas in a senior role

3 Likes

Agree with you there. He also got lucky that Tipp and Kilkenny bet the shite out of each other that year, Limerick got spooked in Croke Park and Cork were Cork, without a full back. Heā€™d some very special young players though that definitely deserved at least one senior.

A decent lad by all accounts.

1 Like

Davy throwing lads off the squad for drinking and then ignoring when it was certain other players never sat right with me.

If Davy had anything about him Wexford would have beaten tipp in 2019 and won the all Ireland. Instead Davy imploded on the side line.

3 Likes

A man up. Leading. Time to drop the hammer on Tipp. Instead they retreated

2 Likes

Where were Clare and Wexford in the 10 years before Davy Fitz took over as a matter of interest? Not everything can be luck

He always struck me as a bully and how rte entertain him really annoys me.

4 Likes

Very, a cerebral enough chap. While he would have been utterly committed to it while in the bubble, hurling was never or never going to be his be all and end all

Wexford and Clare had underage success before he arrived.

1 Like

Heā€™s box office in fairness. The thing with the young lads, the ā€˜inspirational tvā€™ stuff. Non hurling people love him

1 Like

A good way to be. Some lads canā€™t see beyond the game.

He won with Clare while those players were 20 or 21, before their prime. They havenā€™t done much since he left. Wexford won 3 Leinster u21s in a row but typically got hammered once they faced a proper team from Munster or Antrim even beat them one year

2 Likes

Kinnerk won that for him. The minute he left it fell apart.

1 Like

Davy never beat a Munster team either as Wexford manager.

As I think I said before to you, if Tipperary had drawn Laois or Clare rather than Kilkenny in 2013 qualifier, Tipperary win the All Ireland.

I detest Davy Fitzgerald and all that he stands for.

A friend of mine is a prominent sports journalist (and a former Clare hurler). The day after the victorious homecoming in 2013, he is in his house, mid morning, looking after a young child. DFā€™s name comes up on his phone. He is surprised but greets him, naturally, in cheery fashion: ā€œDavy! Howā€™s the form? Great day for Clare people!ā€

About 30 seconds of brooding silence. Then DF says, as if auditioning for The Sopranos: ā€œHow come when Clare win ye give all the credit to Kinnerk?ā€

As I said to my Clare friend: DF should have been contemplating which one of the three ones in the bed with him he was next going to give a rub of the relic.

1 Like

One of ours sure

Headless chickens that day

I donā€™t think Wexford were good enough to beat any of the Munster teams they played. Munster hurling is on a different level at the moment. Tipp in 2019 was a chance obviously but the players seemed to have a collective meltdown after playing outstanding stuff for most of the game

Just look at the record at u20/u21. The last tine a team outside Munster won it was Galway in 2011. Thatā€™s telling at senior level now.