Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

This match will be interesting. Both sides involved in very one-sided encounters the first day out, but hard to know for sure where either are at. Tipp were relatively pleased after the first outing but that all fell to shit last weekend.

Clare did look good in the first half last week, if perhaps a little open at the back, Jason Forde really should have finished his opportunity and Ger Browne walked right through the middle in the second half. And that is definitely something Cork can still do; if Browne can do it, Fitzgibbon, Kingston & the likes will cause havoc.

But Limerick showed how to beat Cork. You can let them go short with the puckout, but you are ensuring that there is no handy second ball. You simply cannot let them draw the man and pop a handpass to one of the half-backs. Once they have one overlap and are moving forward at pace, they are very hard to stop, you have to stop them at source. Clare took the game to Tipp high up the pitch and shut them down there very well, so you would imagine they will try the same here. Cork are slicker at the running game than Tipp but their full-back line are not spectacular hurlers tbh. But do Clare have the same ability to tackle & tactical discipline as Limerick?

There was only two points between the sides last year, Clare have added back Duggan & O’Donnell to their attack, Joyce the main addition for Cork. The Clare returnees both had good starts last week and looked threatening.

Cork need to up the work rate; based on last week, Clare’s puckout plan does not seem as refined as some other sides but if Clare do go short, Cork absolutely have to pressure them or the same thing applies, Clare will just stroll out. If Clare do go long, Cork can at least get bodies around it and the likes of Tim & Joyce are quite strong under a dropping ball, the midfield need to up their game on the breaks.

If I was Lohan, I would start Tony Kelly at 14 and Duggan at 10 even just for the first few minutes as that would create two match-ups that Cork really really do not want. If Kelly does play inside, is Millerick going to go back to man-mark him? Is Coleman going to sweep again or is he going to play as a traditional 7? You would imagine Downey man marks Duggan? But Clare showed last week what can happen if you even man mark one player, how a team’s shape can suffer badly if the player being man marked is unselfish enough to exploit that.

If it’s a pure shootout, Cork will edge it, I think. If Clare can manage to bring the same tackle count that they brought against Tipp, I think they can cause serious problems for Cork.

Either way, you would expect it to be high-scoring and I think both sides will hit goals.

3 Likes

Be great if they could both lose

1 Like

GAA TV is the way forward club and county

2 Likes

Tipp being so bad made Clare look better than they are. Limerick being so good made Cork look worse than they are. On all known form Cork should win this game.

Only as a complement to existing coverage, not as the core component. Free to air has to always be the core component.

1 Like

What form?

1 Like

From memory Clare have won one championship game of consequence against Cork in the 21st century.

Cork to win.

1 Like

Previous form in League and last year championship.

Bookies see it the same way. Off course, both they and I could be wrong. It would not be the first time.

Clare probably had 6 starters playing in the league. The league doesn’t matter a jot but if you want to use it as a yardstick, Clare have improved in every game they have played to date this year from early league to last week.

There was fuck all between the teams last year in a game where Clare were playing their fourth tough game in 5 weeks and ran out of legs. All things being equal the form doesn’t favour cork

1 Like

Cork have been in the last two major finals, League 22 and AI 21.

And? There was fuck all in the Clare and Kilkenny games which could easily have went either way. It is not a true barometer of form.

Getting to lasts years A/I had given you an inflated opinion as to where Cork are

1 Like

Cork were fairly well beaten by Tipperary the first day out in 2019 and turned it around the following week against Limerick in Limerick. I think that’s fairly relevant.

They didn’t have a week’s break that time either. That was a much harder task than they face today.

And were hammered in both of them. How can you class last year’s championship as form?

1 Like

Id count the results amd experience of those on the negative for the Cork side.

I feel it’ll be close and I believe we’ll edge it once we dont make stupid mistakes

The point remains, on the head to head, as well as final appearances, Cork overall have the better form.

Cork were also a patrick Collins save away from being dumped on their holes by Clare last year.
The only reason I would Tipp Cork today is that is as good as a fatal blow today if they lose given they have to go to Waterford. Anything less then a 3/4 point win still leaves them on life support given the scoring difference. In effect losing the Limerick game by 11 was the same as losing 2 matches

A poor Tipp team could have had three goals last Sunday, that Clare backline is not as good as some people make out. Cork have a lot to prove today, they just might.

As a Waterford man, a Clare win would probably suit us better today.

If say the same about Cork to be honest

1 Like