Munster GAA Round Robin 2022

The years of unfulfilled promise still haunt me.

1 Like

Don’t mind that. In the front door and let the others worry.

1 Like

Peter Duggan’s haircut is in a worse state than Cork hurling. Its like a few leaves of burnt cabbage sitting on top of a boiled egg.

Will post link for Cork v Clare game once its done processing on Youtube…

4 Likes

It really stood out, especially when Clare went to 14 and held the ball in the backs and played out short how easy it was for them. Almost like they had the extra man.

Multiple occasions in those last 20 minutes where a Clare defender had a Cork forward coming to press him and he was able to just step inside them and lay it off to a teammate without even so much as a token tackle let alone a hit being delivered.

What would be your concern about having The Rock on the management team?

I’ll keep it succinct - he’s an ape.

5 Likes

Dunphy’s analysis of John Hartson comes to mind

Attitude is massive of course. It’ll carry you a long way in this life. Clare’s attitude today was spot on. Work, work, work. Cork on the other hand didn’t want to know. It’s like they were waiting for Clare to let them play the game their way. FFS.

Not only are they not able for it, they’re not trying. If I hit you a belt on the field it’s up to you to sort it out. Blaming the manager is a cop out.

1 Like

There’s a number of those Cork lads afraid to go into a dark room.

1 Like

Those were two nice games for Clare all in all. Kelly far more prominent today, actually thought we had a better balance with him inside and Duggan half forward but I doubt Peter is fully up to tilt yet and capable of 70 minutes in the half forwards but he will come on a tonne for those two games. Kelly missed a routine free first half but nailed a few huge long range ones second half which kept Cork at arms length while the normally reliable Horgan was missing from a similar range.

It may well catch us out later in the year but it is refreshing to see how Lohan has the Clare backs drilled and is willing to trust them to win their one v one battles rather than cede bodies in the middle third to play a sweeper or to keep an extra man kn the full backline. The backs attack everything bald headed which is great. Hayes really set a tone in the opening quarter and individually all the backs played well.

Ryan Taylor is simply a lad who good things happen off due ti his attitude and workrate. Covers ground and makes and breaks tackles all day and a decent score getter. Himself and Malone bossed the midfield today.

David Fitzgerald is probably the most frustrating hurler I have seen hurl for Clare. He played relatively well today and hit three excellent scores. The lad has it all - size, athleticism, hurling and aggression but it is almost like he only chooses to use it in fits and starts. There was a Harnedy point before half time where he had 3 or 4 yards to make on him after the short ball was played and simply decided to just give a token jog before stopping as Harnedy carried it 20 odd yards and put it over. While it may have been a lost cause but if he had made the effort then the probability of Harnedy pointing it drops from 80% + to 50% by simply knowing he had a man in chase.
Mounsey turning into a great find too. Very composed on the ball and his workrate a big surprise, thought he would be far too light for it.

Two games to learn plenty and continue to build form. 5 weeks to the Munster final and 6 to A/I quarter finals also buys time for the likes of Meehan, Rodgers and Aidan Mc to potentially make it back and see game time too.

5 Likes

Cork hurling is so soft. Not winning the second ball. Ground rucks. But a lot of this comes from club level & the way our club games are reffed at all levels. Frees for everything. At a minor game last Friday and frees were given for the slightest physicality in the game. We need to Man up. Learn to take hits and give them. Only Downey & Connolly showed this today

galways all ireland to lose

The only thing nice about Charleville is the view of Kilmallock in the distance

2 Likes

720p version is ready now. Which is watchable.

Skip to 50 minutes in the below.

5 Likes

Sean O’Donoghue (not for the first time) and John Conlan should be ashamed of themselves tonight.

Hope it’s highlighted for what it is on TSG.

1 Like

Fair play to The Dow and Uncle Fester.

1 Like

Heh? They clearly changed the gameplan, did you even watch the game today?

I would agree with you to an extent but culture is culture and if there are no real consequences or demand for players not to put in hits they won’t. It can be changed somewhat over a winter with the right group leading it.

Graeme Mulcahy wasn’t too dissimilar a hurler to the majority of the Cork forwards for the first 7 or 8 years of his intercounty career. Then there was a culture change, no doubt some tough conversations and he bought in completely and looked a player transformed.

Players will improve if the set up is right. Same way they will look like a rabble if managed poorly. While there is personal accountability for the defeats with the players I thinkI/C hurling has moved on to the point that the days of poorly coached/managed teams rousing themselves to take big scalps on a given day are gone as the better organised sides are just too well drilled.

8 Likes

Only watching back The Sunday Game this morning. Any reports on if John Conlon is ok?

2 Likes