Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Sexton got plenty of gyp from ROG up to that . The Leinster players had got awful stick for years - “ladyboys” etc

Sexton gave it back to them in spades that day and Munster could not hack it at all .

2 Likes

They fairly were ladyboys in fairness for those barren years. 06 proved that.

2009 was the turn of the tide, a serious crop that came through for Leinster.

Ryan Taylor style…Sexton knew he’d win though, dunno what Ryan was thinking

2 Likes

Leinster forgot about o’connell stamping on Rob Kearneys head . I’d say o gara did his fair share of bullying around young players .

1 Like

Ah those barren years from the inception of the beer cup in 1998 to 2006

2 Likes

The 2006 semi final was when Ireland peaked. I’d say the Celtic tiger was some laugh to be in during your early 20s.

1 Like

Limerick beat Clare AET in the league semi the day of that match iirc. Peak Celtic Tiger era boozing for me that day, starting in Kitty O’Shea’s and finishing up in Rody Boland’s.

1 Like

Peak Celtic tiger for me was the wedding of a primary school friend. We were in a typical rural two classroom and one prefab school with four teachers and a headmaster.
There were small farmers growing up who’d sold sites enough to be millionaires aplenty, and I was one of the few not openly snortiy cocaine, in some cases off the bar.

1 Like

If a fella couldn’t get 3 trips to France a season to watch rugby he was at nothing .

1 Like

Are you mixing games up? I’m fairly certain the year we beat Clare in Ennis under o Grady coincided with a big Munster game. Maybe I’m wrong. Around 2011 I reckon.

Mark Keane got 2-10 and we lost to Kilkenny in the final before getting pummeled by Clare in the championship and narrowly losing to Cork

I barely remember it. Would have been richies first game v cork. Seamie hickey made his debut maybe.

Richie who?

Bennis

Correct, beat Clare AET in Thurles. As good as it got in the Joe Mc era really.

Shaughs scored an outrageous point from under the new stand off his weaker side from an acute angle late on IIRC.

Denis Moloney was brilliant the same day but also did the cruciate for the first time. What a player he could have been at intercounty level but for those injuries. Still went on to be a brilliant club hurler.

The egg chasing Beer Cup semi final was definitely on the same day, I remember winding a few of my pals up after the hurling went to extra time and they were seething over missing the first half of the rugger on tv down the square in Thurles.

1 Like

I still haven’t seen anyone snort cocaine, openly or otherwise. I must move in the wrong circles.

1 Like

You must. I see it all the time, but was genuinely surprised by that affair. These were and are the nicest bunch of lads you’d ever meet.

It was Dave Kearney who he kicked in the head.

1 Like

Dunno why I put Rob , Dave ! ya I was at the game .