Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Pinning it to the provinces was very short sighted. An extremely shallow pool condensed more and no real allowance for late developers outside the system. Project players have made it even worseā€¦ it killed real rugby in the country

Did you now. Youā€™re really very exercised about this notion of yours that CJ Stander is the most decorated Shannon player of all time. Exercised to the extent that you feel that anybody who might not share that view could be motivated by xenophobic considerations.

I just did a quick 2 minute check there myself now on my programme collection on an issue that I had caveated last night. I was a little surprised to find out that all 98 of Peter Stringerā€™s caps from his first against Scotland in 2000 to his last against England in 2011 were earned as a Shannon affiliated player. I must confess that I thought that a good chunk of his early caps were won as a UCC affiliated player. Not the case it transpires.

He certainly was as he holds an all ireland minor hurling medal. That trumps all the rugby medals, lions caps etc cc @myboyblue

1 Like

Keep out of it you Cookies bastard.

2 Likes

There is a former Shannon player who won 4 AIL titles with Shannon 1995-98, captained Munster in 2 European Cup finals in 2000 & 2002, won 41 Ireland caps, is to the best of my knowledge the Shannon player who has has captained Ireland on the most occasions, toured with the British Lions to New Zealand in 1993, won a Kerry Senior Football Championship in 1988 and won an All Ireland medal with Mick Oā€™Dwyerā€™s Kerry team in 1986.

Thought you were Cookies royalty.

Is the brown lad on the right @Thomas_Brady?

No. Iā€™ve family that areā€¦ Iā€™m a parish man.

That Clare bollix wouldnt lie straight in bed.

What did he make of your contention about Stander being Shannonā€™s most decorated player

1 Like

Come out of the fogā€¦ My grandmother is a Tobin out of Thomondgate. Her family were Young Munster and St. Patrickā€™s stalwarts. The grandfather was from the other side of the water from Thomondgate and a Shannon man.

1 Like

Oā€™Dwyer was never going to play Galway in a serious game. I remember seeing Glawey play Yng Munters in his maiden season for Shannon at No 8. It was a serious pack with Geoff Moylan and Iā€™d suggest Colm Tucker in his final season In a cracking back row.

1 Like

Youā€™ re a mongrel???

I amā€¦ It allows me mix in a lot of different circles. Anyway, weā€™re united in our hatred of Garryowen.

Probably had a good chuckle at the notion that a player could be considered the most decorated player in the history of the most successful and trophy laden club in Irish rugby, when the player in question has won the grand total of zero medals with the club.

1 Like

He is a retired RUC man, he gave me a look like I had suggested he take a romantic weekend in Crossmaglen! His words were ā€œI donā€™t care what the IRFU teamsheet says, he is not a Shannon clubmanā€. He put Galwey forward as his selection, but conceded the absence of a Lions cap or a Grand Slam was a considerable hole in the CV.

1 Like

Yerrah normally Iā€™d burn Shannon but those lads in the 90ā€™s played in time that was built on the foundations laid in the 80ā€™s. The Shnnon team of the likes of The Healys, locky, moylan, tucker, sonny Kiely et al came out of nowhere to dominate the 80,s in the pre AIL days. The likes of Sonny Kiely and his 0 Irish caps and 0 Lions caps and probably less than 10 munster caps would rate more a club legend then Stander, Horan or anyone else with international caps.

2 Likes

He is right about Stander. Heā€™s not a Shannon man.

Jaysus. Thanks for that Sherlock Holmes . The only thing that Stander has in common with a Shannon man is that they both struggle with the English language.

2 Likes

Niall Oā€™Donovan, Ginger,Johnny Pierce, Foleyā€¦tough bastards.

1 Like