Munster Rugby - We DID start the fire (Part 1)

Did Sonny Kiely line out with St Maryā€™s for a few seasons in his twilight?

They were and in fairness they played to their strenghts. Apart from Boobby Roche I cant remember any names that pkayed out else Johnny Pierse.

Galwey was a bit like another late developer with a good GAA inter-county underage pedigree, Ciaran Fitzgerald. Both were officer class and what they offered in that regard far out-weighed what they brought to their respective positions. At the top level, Galwey wasnā€™t big enough for the second row and wasnā€™t fast or mobile enough for the back row.

Probably. Most of the the real Shannon players were also Marys.
I was shocked to hear CJ Stander was giving rugby up without lining out for Marys in the true Shannon tradition.
Marys and Shannon were indelibly linked. Thomond and Munsters became linked out of necessity but also a lot of the families moved from the Edward St/ Hyde Rd area to Mayorstone/ Woodview areas.

3 Likes

Was Phillip Danaher Shannon or Garryowen?
There was Dan Larkin as well, who Iā€™m pretty sure was Garryowen.

Garryowen

You know it.

Granted minor football trumps minor hurling

Yeah Garryowen.

They both played football with Limerick. I remember my father wouldnā€™t let me get Dan Larkins to sign my programme after the munster final in 91. I think Larkin wouldnā€™t play with a broken finger or something.

:smiley:

:clap::clap::clap:

Think Philip Danaher was actually playing for Lansdowne when he won his first cap against Scotland in 1988.

Garryowen when in Limerick though. From Abbeyfeale. Think he might have played minor football with Kerry as the family lived out towards Duagh for a while.

Would yoiu ever fuck off back to the horsey thread . Jim Galvin is Ger Galvins brother. They both were the best hurlers to come out of Feenagh.Dan Larkin and Phil Danagher both played for Garryowen due to the banking jobs they co uild get. In fairness to Larkin doing a lot of work with Mungret Ladies Gaelic in support of his daughter

CJ Stander bleeds the black and blue of his beloved Shannon.

He doesnā€™t bleed red?

Iā€™ll tell you a secret. No one gives a fuck about Feenagh. Jim Long was the only person of any use to come out of there.

1 Like

Jim was the sub goalie if not the sub-sub goalie. Iā€™d value that ovef anything Beano, Wolly or any of those Leix wunderkids achieved before the dreaded drink took over.

I thought so. I played again him one day when he was well past it and still a mile better than the rest of usā€¦ Always liked playing in the island field youā€™d want a thick skin

We were there one day I suppose it could have been 20 years ago and things were getting propah nawty up front and the call went out for us to ā€œbring on the big fellaā€ for a vital scrum near our own lineā€¦ Now the big fella was big becuase he was an absolute sauce monkey and he couldnā€™t fucking run but he was a good prop and was the match of anyone at scrum timeā€¦ In the 3 or 4 minutes of a delay whilst the jersey was manouevered down over his keg the natives were getting restless and the rumbling started ā€œBrin on porky hel sort himā€

Well porky didnā€™t need to be aksked twiceā€¦ Our man rumbles on and we wait another 2 or 3 mins for porky to organise himself to join usā€¦ At this stage the two sets of backs were chatting and sharing a flask of tea and starting a pool on what was going to happen coz we knew it wasnā€™t going to involve usā€¦

The two boys face off anyway and our scrum half readies himself to put inā€¦ The two bulls lĆ©ann over to engage then bangā€¦ Someone headbutted someone and the two of em are wrestlingā€¦ 2 yellow cards good luck and thanks

4 Likes

You take that back about Beano

TNH

Indeed. Maryā€™s didnā€™t play in the island field